What's up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noahs_arc

Regular
I'm really new to this game. Have been riding consistent 30 milers (struggle beyond that), about 3 times a week (when I can), for about 6 months now. Burning approx 1300 calories per outing (apparently). I noticed for the first few months when I got home that I could eat absolutely anything to the extent of....a relatively small pit pony with a side order of chips ....a whole panetone and about 5 bananas....I even at one point, when the fridge was empty, was eyeing up a chunk out of the missus' calf. All this consumed within a the space of 20 mins.

'Now' when I get home, I'm NOT feeling so hungry!! Is this something normal? i.e. your appetite drops off the more you ride? Or is the self survival neanderthal me kicking in?

Plus I'm a chunky 15 1/2 st, have a healthy diet and have noted that the weight is remaining consistent (I'd love to lose a lot more). Is it just a matter of getting stuck into interval training to re-kick things into action...

I've seen quiet a few stories about oooh I lost 3 st in 2 months riding but what's your experience?

screenman

Legendary Member
The answer is to eat less calories than you use, now I know the is simplistic but it worked for the 4 stone I lost.

Also this post wants to be in health and fitness.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The answer is to eat less calories than you use, now I know the is simplistic but it worked for the 4 stone I lost.

Also this post wants to be in health and fitness.
It isn't strictly. It's entirely possible to not be eating enough also. Start with your BMR http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ work out your daily calorie needs and create a deficit from there.

e-rider

crappy member
when you first started exercising your body didn't know what was happening so it made you eat everything you could see; just in case. Now that your body realises that you are only riding 30 miles a few times per week, it knows that it doesn't need so much food afterall and so the cravings for food have dropped.

As a newbie to cycling you wont gain much from interval training, and most studies state that intense exercise such as intervals are not best for weight loss either (although a small number of studies say otherwise)

Your age will play a big part in potentialy how fit you can get. Skys' the limit for under 35s whereas post 50s will be working more to maintain fitness rather than significantly improving it.

Top Bottom