What's using your Juice (KWh content)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
My step daughter sent me these years ago, probably when I was having a moan about leaving lights on.

Attachments

• E74C5506-2655-454F-B984-7690CAEC3611.jpeg
    E74C5506-2655-454F-B984-7690CAEC3611.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 6
  • 6A18FA82-6320-4892-AC5E-D409EBEA6F7E.jpeg
    6A18FA82-6320-4892-AC5E-D409EBEA6F7E.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I never look at my smart meter but it will be the electric shower and fan oven without any doubt.

I have actually built a 5 sq mtr lean too shelter at the back of my house, 3 weeks ago, for the total of £171, to dry laundy in intermittent weather:
We have double covered carport. Things like towels take forever to dry in winter. I think a lot of quick dry stuff will be worn in our house this winter.

Having a kick up the arxe to do what you should be doing anyway is never a bad thing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
24h with checking sons gaming PC. Was on for about 5 hours last night, and went through 1.4 KWH, steady 350w. He wasn't gaming on anything intensive :eek:
Not yours sfaik, but parents of offspring with bitcoin tendencies need to make it clear that it's not a 'home' activity.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Probably my daily 15 minute hot in winter, warm in summer shower and my sat next to me when I'm sat in my armchair fan heater. Yes, I know gas central heating works out cheaper than such things as fan heaters, but I don't want to warm the whole room. I want to give myself an instant blast of warm air, not wait 10 minutes for central heating to make a difference.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
We have a background load of about 100W at night and 200W in the day time, use about 11kWh on average. This is 4 people in a generally gas heated house with a lot of smart devices that are always on. I work from home with a laptop, dock and triple monitors, so I guess that accounts for a lot of the load when the dishwasher, washing machine or oven is not on. I have recently installed solar and batteries and at the moment do not really import or export any power. Come winter I expect to import quite a bit. The big consumers seem to be anything involving heat so the washers, cooking and the occasional use of the immersion heater when there is enough solar. There is no real point sweating about a 5W lightbulb being left on for an extra hour or a device on standby using 0.5W when the immersion heated is using 3000W for 30 minutes.

According to my smart meter - we use just under 18kwh a day including running a car.
Right now its about 88W as nobodys working from home.
Just plugged in the laptop and thats an extra 40W. It all adds up !

Ajax Bay

Guru
When I checked a few years ago a wash @ 40 degrees (~1:20 length) used 0.6kWh and a 30 degree one (1:02) was 0.4kWh. The motor is low rated and the cost is heating the water from ambient. The dishwasher, on its normal cycle, was 0.4kWh: it uses 14 litres of water (cold feed) for each cycle, about the same as riding a 300k, but that heats the water to 37 degrees before 'draining' or loss through evaporation.

Top Bottom