What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Going up & up at the moment!
Local (Northampton) is about £133.9 pl
Tesco is the same price as the BP a few miles away.
Wellingborough and Kettering are a couple of pence cheaper.

I've seen it @ £139.9 on the Trunk Road services.

Profiteering? Shortages? Did I read, somewhere, that the Arab States are slowing production?
I'm glad I don't use too much, but it's certainly outstripping inflation..

At Scotch Corner, on the A1/A66 junction, coming home from Northumberland, last week, diesel was £1.48/litre:eek:

gbb

Legendary Member
Over 10 years ago iirc, unleaded reached 1.43 ltr and I remember seeing lots more commuting cyclists on all sorts of bikes,you sensed it was punishing for some.
It could be headed that way again, I already see how much less I'm getting for my habitual £35 top up.

Surely it's the only industry that operates as a cartel and gets away with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Demand around the world slumped badly during covid, and the OPEC nations - who are far too reliant on oil income - took a spanking. As a result OPEC members have agreed to limit production to bolster prices, and we are the ones who get squeezed.

That in turn hits the cost of road transport, so peices will rise.

The problem with this, and other currwnt inflationary factors, is that they are all offshore and/or beyond the control of the government, so if inflatuon rises then raising interest rates to try and slow the economy won't work.

Luckily I use about 1/2 @ tank of fuel every 5 ir 6 weeks, so the cost could quadruple and it won't affect me. Mrs D runs all week on electric and only fires up the petrol motor on a long journey, so it doesn't affect her (consumption during ownership 109mpg - who says plug in hybrids don't work?), but her new Polestar 2 areives first or 2nd week of September so she won't be worring any more over even the miserly amound she uses.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It doesn't seem to be affecting the amount of traffic on the roads around here! It's been manic since the relaxation of Covid rules, and with the current good weather seems to be getting even worse. I live in a popular seaside resort though, so maybe we are more affected than most. Today as most days the car is parked up and I am determined not to use it in silly season. It'll be gridlock, and I don't have off street parking so I won't get parked anywhere near my house until about 7pm if I do move the car.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I usually only use mine for the 10 days a month that I work. 25 mile round trip @ 53+ per gallon.

Most other chores & errands are on the bike..

Drago

Legendary Member
I must say, trqffic levels seem to have rpebounded beyond the pre covid levels. Still a bit quieter here in rural poshshire, where the company directors and mid level execs are enjoyong gome working, but town is manic.

Im also surprised at the number of electric cars that are now to be seen. I feel a bit guilty rolling coal in my 2.4 diesel with quad exhausts! :laugh: Of course, the 1200-1500 miles a year I do is responsible for a lot less polltuon than the 10,000+ miles of electricity the typical e-car driver will be gulping, but I still feel as uncomfortable as Mr T at a Merle Haggard concert :blush:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Luckily I use about 1/2 @ tank of fuel every 5 ir 6 weeks, so the cost could quadruple and it won't affect me. Mrs D runs all week on electric and only fires up the petrol motor on a long journey, so it doesn't affect her (consumption during ownership 109mpg - who says plug in hybrids don't work?), but her new Polestar 2 areives first or 2nd week of September so she won't be worring any more over even the miserly amound she uses.
Are you on an Economy 7 tariff? My PHEV, when I ran one, cost me buttons to charge overnight on E7 :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, we're on Economy 7. Mrs D's T8 gets plugged in overnight and it rrally does make little difference to the bill. Technically, we get NET free electricity. We have 5kW solar and over the course of the year the income from that usually just outweighs the value of the electeicity we pay for. On top of that we get the free juice to use ourselves while the sun is shining.

DRHysted

Guru
Over 10 years ago iirc, unleaded reached 1.43 ltr and I remember seeing lots more commuting cyclists on all sorts of bikes,you sensed it was punishing for some.
It could be headed that way again, I already see how much less I'm getting for my habitual £35 top up.

Surely it's the only industry that operates as a cartel and gets away with it.

I believe the diamond trade is also worked as a cartel with limited numbers being released to the market in order to maintain the value. Historically engagement rings weren’t diamonds until a very successful advertisement campaign I think by Debeers.

Top Bottom