What's with this raw meat thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I like my steak well done,i once tried a rare one in holland with out realising till it was too late in the darkly lit restaraunt,there was still blood to see,yeuk.gotta be well done for me.

Abitrary

Beef steak should be flash fried and left to stand for 5 minutes, but must still be seeping blood. What else is the point of eating steak? I want to taste blood and feel it running down my chin.

Lamb rump steak (not chops etc though) can be done medium rare, but whilst not as bloodily infused as beef, is a welcome change.

Wolf04 said:
Wipe it's bum and slap it on a plate, the rarer the better. Steak Tartare is my favourite dish. Just returned from France where I had steak tartare a blue steak and raw scallops (not all in same meal)
All delicious.

Absolutely. I'm going to start asking for my steak to be raw in restaurants, since it seems that even if you ask for it blue most places overcook it.;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
Absolutely. I'm going to start asking for my steak to be raw in restaurants, since it seems that even if you ask for it blue most places overcook it.;)

How true!

F'in hot pan, full wick on the gas, 30s each side...

Good quality fully rare steak does not have blood oozing out, partly cooked steak often does including a slightly metallic taste. Anthing other than blue or rare is a waste of good animal.

Abitrary

The biggest mistake people make is by frying it straight out of the fridge.

If it's too cold, the meat contracts squeezing the juice out.

You need to leave it all day at room temperature, covered of course.

Disgruntled Goat said:
It's a macho thing.

Codswallop. A properly cooked blue steak melts in the mouth; anything cooked beyond medium is like shoe leather. Nothing to do with machismo.

ChrisKH

Guru
wafflycat said:
No, creme anglais is a namby-pamby forn invention which is thin and watery and not proper custard which is thick, creamy, sweet & delicious. Creme anglais pretends to be the correct stuff, but it's not custard! Proper custard is lovingly made with cream, vanilla, eggs... but it is *not* creme anglais. Creme anglais is a foul abomination! :biggrin:

Mt father in law trained as a patisseur in his youth. Says custard is crap and creme angalis and various other continental fillings are the proper way to do it. Still, what does he know? :biggrin:

Personally I'll take it any way it comes and like both. The purist in me knows a proper patisseur knows more about the art of baking and filling sweet things than any Tesco or Sainsbury's baker will ever know (one of my main gripes with supermarkets being they can't bake bread or continental pastries for toffee). But sometimes all I want is Jam Rolly Polly and Custard.:thumbsup: True comfort food involves warm custard. Skin optional. :thumbsup:

red_tom

Hover Fly said:
I believe about 80% of the French population carry Toxoplasmosis, caused at least partly by their eating raw rare meat.

It has been found that the parasite has the ability to change the behavior of its host: infected rats and mice are less fearful of cats — in fact, some of the infected rats seek out cat-urine-marked areas. This effect is advantageous to the parasite, which will be able to sexually reproduce if its host is eaten by a cat.

How freaking cool is that? Reminds me of the Live Fluke.

Mr Phoebus

Sticklebacks also can get infected and they will just happily wait just under the surface for a heron to snap them up and transmit the host.
Unlike a normal stickleback which will swim away like lightening at the first sign of a threat.

Top Bottom