What's yer.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I only have the one bike, a singlespeed not fixed, so all my riding is done on 47:18. Longest day ride is 144 miles and I've done a short five day tour with around 100 per day. Both the last were flat routes (barring days 4-5 of the tour}but i've done a fair number of 50-100 milers in moderately hilly country too. Sometimes people give you extra kudos for riding a longish way on one gear but tbh it's not that difficult, just what you're used to doing and when you have no choice you get used to it.

My first 100mile was on single speed (48:17). It was a sort of "accidental" 100mile - the weather looked good, I had a day off and my Garmin was playing up so I got all sorts of lost ;-)

I don't think there is any real limit on how far you can ride SS compared to geared. Like a previous poster said, pick the right gear ratio and just pedal. Ok, so it might tale you a bit longer to cover the same mileage, and the landscape you choose to do the ride in will no doubt mean that your chosen "best" gearing is always likely to be a compromise, but that is no reason why the ride can not be just as enjoyable. Just smile and ride...

PS, a couple of members of my local club rode northern France, Belgium, Denmark and half way up Norway, and back again, all on fixed. Once home, one of them noted their total mileage, his gear inches and worked out how many pedal revolutions he did. Tooooooo much time on his hands!

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Reading all these long distance efforts got me thinking...I wonder if out there in tinternet world is some crazy soul who has tried something like a kirkstone pass or the Lakeland hills of the Fred Whitton

zigzag

Veteran
i did an "easter arrow" audax twice on ss bikes, on a folding ss and on full size ss. the distances were 420-430km. i was contemplating doing pbp on ss bike, but as i decided to go for (good)time chose a geared bike to stay in sync with other riders.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I stretched it to 42 today, but it was hard work. I just went up two teeth on the chainring as well, and my thighs really felt it. Taking a battering from relentless wind and rain as well...

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I stretched it to 42 today, but it was hard work. I just went up two teeth on the chainring as well, and my thighs really felt it. Taking a battering from relentless wind and rain as well...

Bollocks I'm going to have to go out regardless tomorrow now. I was telling myself no one was riding in this weather, I would be foolish to go out

zigzag

Veteran

if you are in cirencester, there are some "interesting" hills around compton abdale; i stalled riding 72" gear, just about managed with 69"

Top Bottom