What's your average speed and do you set yourself targets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Coincidently me and my brother were talking about that last night and Strava prediction of power when we have done identical routes, I've done them faster but he has had more power.
I assume that is down to bike weight and rider weight which you put in, since losing weight I "think" Strava is showing I have also lost power even on my recent PB ----> rushes off to check I read my figures right

Andrew_P

In between here and there
https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20959332-power-calculations

In our own tests, we found the difference between our calculated watts and watts reported by a power meter to be less than 5%. Our calculations are especially accurate when climbing, where we saw the difference to be less than 1% given accurate rider and bike weight.

Like they say they do not know weather conditions and assume 0mph wind and 15c which is why up hills are the most accurate. They also stress that it should be total weight clothes and everything.

OP
OP
U

User16625

+1

Come and join us on Strava. It's fun.

My averages are screwed at the moment from spending the last 4 weeks on a MTB with suspension forks and nobblies. Then I decided to go pootling round the country tracks today and made it even worse!

On the road bike, it's usually 13-15mph, depending on whether I pick a more or less hilly route.

I went through a phase of setting myself targets, but every ride ended up feeling like a race, and I stopped enjoying it, so I'm making a deliberate effort to not care about my speed now, and just enjoy riding.
'Tis an irrelevant comparison. Terrain, road surface, bike type, weather conditions all play a part.

Most of the time I dont actually measure my performance, although I always cycle at the highest speed I can maintain. Also my longer rides probably result in a lower average speed. Its when conditions are great for a fast run I sometimes work out how fast my average must have been throughout it. I would agree with lulu on timing ones self everytime, no need to pressure yourself everytime your out riding.

subaqua

What’s the point
Most of my riding is done commuting through london at rush hour, so my averages appear pretty low, that is only because I spend between 10 - 20% of my journeys stationary at traffic lights.

Weekend rides for me are about enjoying cycling, so I don't go hell for leather all the time to get an amazing average speed.

this is very familiar. endomondo puts my total average at around 12mph and my bike puter gives a moving average of just over 15. traffic lights are great interval training opporunities though. andmy thighs have been burning for a few days now

Part time cyclist

Über Member
I too am trying to reach the 20 mph target do a lunch time tide out of 18/19 miles but can't quiet get there. Apart from cycling faster I don't know what the answer is(apart from spending out on a carbon bike :smile: n+1 )))

Bigsharn

Veteran
Total average is about 10mph thanks to slowing for/waiting at traffic lights
Moving average is roughly 13mph around town. I hover at around 14-15mph in the country though :tongue:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Mine is reasonable for the conditions I am riding in at that particular moment in time.......

I too am trying to reach the 20 mph target do a lunch time tide out of 18/19 miles but can't quiet get there. Apart from cycling faster I don't know what the answer is(apart from spending out on a carbon bike :smile: n+1 )))
Train harder, my mate on a relatively heavy alu road bike was averaging just under 25mph for the 50mile race today on a reasonably hilly circuit. Ive averaged it in stints and on flatter rides but I certainly couldn't keep it up for 50miles but he's also 10 years younger than me, well thats my excuse anyway :thumbsup:

mattobrien

Guru
I think if you are looking at average speeds for fitness purposes, then a rolling average isn't unfair, but worthwhile mentioning that it is a rolling average.

In response to what is my average speed, it depends on how fast I go :smile:

Realistically, on shorter routes my average is faster than on longer routes and currently ranges from 17-19mph.

Aiming for a 20mph average by the end of the year on my short route.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
On today's 15.5 mile ride I managed to up my average to 16.2mph. A little up from mid 15's. of previous runs. I might try to get out tomorrow as it's Easter break but I might have a few jobs to do before we go camping on Thursday :angel:.
I have a 30 year old, steel, bike and a 55 year old body so don't expect to get my average up much more :whistle:.

Top Bottom