What's your average speed and do you set yourself targets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just calculated my average speed. 14.63 miles and 44 minutes....19.9 miles per hour. DAMN! I wanted a 20! The wind was calm and I wasnt exactly feeling low in energy so no beatin around the bush, im bloody S.L.O.W!! The route wasnt flat but not severely hilly either.

Anyone here calculated your average speeds? What are your targets and what do you actually achieve?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When you are at 19.9 you're bound to think like that !
I have taken to doing a 14.4 mile commute into work, and without going bonkers at it, I am managing 17.7 mph average speed. There is one climb to do but otherwise it is fairly flat.

Hopefully things will improve as I lose some weight & get fitter. I'd like to get faster. I remember training for a 30km ride a couple of years ago when my average over a 10m commute crept up to 19mph. At the moment I want endurance rather than sheer speed, though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Most of my riding is done commuting through london at rush hour, so my averages appear pretty low, that is only because I spend between 10 - 20% of my journeys stationary at traffic lights.

Weekend rides for me are about enjoying cycling, so I don't go hell for leather all the time to get an amazing average speed.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i just set myself a cadence target, if its too easy change to a bigger gear! saying that i averaged 15 mph today over 22 miles had to stop a few times and take a dodgy diversion off of the cycle track!

tyred

Legendary Member
'Tis an irrelevant comparison. Terrain, road surface, bike type, weather conditions all play a part.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have a 20 mile/h target on the fast route which I only use on some Friday mornings (complicated algorithm - I won't go through it).
But I've been improving my general speed recently, and on the semi-fast route I aim to average over 17 mile/h. Managed it again today.
Slow route? Aim to beat 15 mile/h in all weather conditions, but a mighty struggle against a headwind.
Only a 6 mile commute, so more of a sprint than anything.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Im a bit slow i guess, I usually average around 12-14mph at a comfy pace, if im trying to keep speed up i average about 15-16mph over say an hour on a circular route. Im targetting dropping a few stone rather than speed, but it feels like wind resistance is my main enemy trying to get any faster on the flat as im currently quite upright on my hybrid.

VamP

Banned
OOOh, we haven't had a average speed thread for a while :popcorn:

@OP, if you want to get competitive about your commutes you NEED to get on Strava.

lulubel

Über Member
@OP, if you want to get competitive about your commutes you NEED to get on Strava.

+1

Come and join us on Strava. It's fun.

My averages are screwed at the moment from spending the last 4 weeks on a MTB with suspension forks and nobblies. Then I decided to go pootling round the country tracks today and made it even worse!

On the road bike, it's usually 13-15mph, depending on whether I pick a more or less hilly route.

I went through a phase of setting myself targets, but every ride ended up feeling like a race, and I stopped enjoying it, so I'm making a deliberate effort to not care about my speed now, and just enjoy riding.

VamP

Banned
My averages are screwed at the moment from spending the last 4 weeks on a MTB with suspension forks and nobblies. Then I decided to go pootling round the country tracks today and made it even worse!

I averaged less than 8mph - in a race. Granted it was the muddiest and hilliest of last season's cyclocross races, but the average in no way reflected that I spent the hour at 95% HRmax :rolleyes:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I fancy joining you on Strava but I don't think I can get it on my Nokia N8. I'm using Symbian Belle.
So I suppose I'll have to stick with Sports Tracker. I'm fairly happy with it, apart from the calorie calculations :wacko:.

redcard

Veteran
To join in the penis contest, I'm around 14mph for 90 minute workouts.

Have been only been riding a fortnight, and start commuting tomorrow, so hopefully see this rise gradually throughout the summer.

My target is always to go faster than the last time. If I don't, I feel like a failure!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p3hxs5

Top Bottom