What's your average speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
…...and decreases with age :sad:

I have found that as my speed has decreased my endurance has improved.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
16.67mph average over all of this years rides, which have all been 17-20 mile lunchtime blasts and the odd longer ride. Lowest av. on a single ride was 15.4 and highest was 17.8

Chrisc

Guru
Maybe an hour is realistic as first but after a month 10mph is a bit of a low estimate really. You'll do that without breaking sweat in no time. Most likely gonna take you about 40-45 mins to do the trip after a month and then you'll settle to a pace.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As others have said it all depends on the bike, the rider,terrain, loads carried ,weather etc etc so comparing average speeds is hard to make meaningful like for like comparisons.
My average commute speed for 10 miles is 17-18 mph depending on how i feel and the prevailing headwind, the time varies between 32 - 36 minutes for the ride.
When out on my own for longer rides 40+ it goes to around 19 mph .

Globalti

Legendary Member
On a short hilly road ride with my buddy: 17.5 mph
On a long flat solo road ride: 17 mph
On a long hilly solo road ride: 14.5 mph
On a mountain bike ride: 6.5 mph

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
14.5 mph on the flat, 10.5 mph on slight to moderate hills, 8 mph on steep hills.

The only excuses reasons I can think of for such poor speeds are that my average ride distance is in excess of 30 miles, and I'm an old b*gger.

Madders

Regular
Just checked the spy on the bars and it shows an average of 14.5 mph on an undulating route of 10 miles. I do agree about trying to better times/speeds as, in my very limited experience of two weeks the relationship between effort and improvement appears to be disproportionate, ie, the above route, giving it the beans-35 mins, slow and easy, 38 minutes. My riding is governed by my mood though, and possibly my guilt levels re my waistline.:blush:

Madders :smile:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
After about a year of thinking of an 8 mile ride as being epic, I fitted a Cateye Strada 8 onto my Roadster Sovereign this Christmas to find out what was going on. Average turned out to be a bit over 12mph over mixed gradients. Half a year further on, on my 10 mile commute I'm doing a gnat's over 15. The bike hasn't got any lighter, but 2 stone seems to have evaporated from the operator! Dog in his trailer brings it down to 11 or so.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Too many factors, but aerodynamics seems the biggest on a fairly upright hybrid. I can sustain a pretty solid 15mph for an hour maybe two, but trying to speed up to say 18mph feels like double the effort and im convinced its all fighting drag. I imagine it makes a big difference when you move from drops to the bars and try to keep speed up?

I sometimes do a quick 6 mile local circuit where i try to average 16mph (despite junctions and blind crossings i have to slow for) or i have a mostly flat 15 mile route i try to keep under an hour. Longer rides i tend to just pace down to about 13mph avg.

Honestly i dont think id feel overly safe really trying to focus on pushing my cardio when i need to watch traffic around me though.

Top Bottom