What's your average speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Don't worry what speed you are doing, riding is the most important part. Speed will increase with fitness.:thumbsup:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm doing 15 or so miles and getting 16mph ave at the mo. Getting up the hills a little faster might push my average up but, at 55 with a 30 year old bike, I think I've reached my peak. I just need to set aside more time to do some longer rides and see if I can keep this speed up over greater distances.

D

Deleted member 1258

Your average speed will depend on many things, I suspect your estimated 10mph average might be a tad low. Personally commuting on my fixed and riding easy, 13 mile round trip, I average around 14-15mph, out on the geared bike on Sundays doing between 50 and 70 miles the average is around 15-16mph, I'm 60 years young and have a chest full of stents.

In the city (if you can call Edinburgh a city) with lots of hills and lights on a slower mountain bike orientated hybrid I'd average comfortably 12.5mph but could put my foot down and take it to 15mph when I needed too. Out side of the city and on a drop bar bike I'd comfortably average more; tonight on the 13kg single speed I was 17.7mph moving average on a hilly route and I can average more for longer on a lighter geared bike. For route planning though, I like to use 10mph in town; it makes things simple and it allows time for stupid mechanicals or recovery time before an appointment. Similarly outside of the city I usually allow 15mph, its easy to calculate and it builds in emergency time.

You should expect your average speed to be significantly lower on the way home from your girlfriend's house. If it isn't , I would seriously consider changing girlfriends.....

OP
OP
stefan-west1

stefan-west1

Regular
You should expect your average speed to be significantly lower on the way home from your girlfriend's house. If it isn't , I would seriously consider changing girlfriends.....

Haha true. Well I don't mind how long it takes to get back. But if it takes forever to get there I won't hear the end of it. And it'll be a lonely night for me haha

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
About 17mph for me. However, I have managed to reach over 20mph on a good day without any wind (very rare). On club runs I normally get about 16 as we cover a lot of hills.

al78

Guru
12-14 mph going to work, 15-17 coming back home, over 9 1/2 miles.

My workplace is on a hill, hence the slower outbound commute.

My record is 15 mph in, 20 mph back, although this was because I cycled home with a strong cyclist.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I had stopped recording my rides, but I keep finding new apps for the phone. My rides aren't going to break any records and when I don't record I feel I was magnificent that day :smile:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
20.7Mph on the short flat route as per pic

17Ish on the longer hilly commute

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340081566554.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340081566554.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 32

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Normally between 10 and 12mph here on a 20 mile round trip. The wind direction and strength make a real difference of course and I normally carry quite a lot of stuff on my hybrid (laptop, files, clothes, strong lager etc). I found I was up to 14.5mph last Friday coming home with a tailwind.

Top Bottom