What's your average touring speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know there are many variables here, but what is YOUR average touring speed, both loaded and unloaded.

When I say Loaded, I mean the bike not you.

Steve

jags

Guru
went for a night spin the other night on my tourer average speed 14mph loaded 12mph.

why you ask Steve:reading:

mcr

Veteran
17.5kmh (cos it sounds better, or 11mph) for loaded on my last tour, but I do travel relatively light by some people's standards. Haven't used my tourer unloaded in comparable distances to give a reliable figure.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
11.3mph moving average with four panniers on the tandem across the length of France, according to our stats. 2.2mph overall average - which means that we could in theory have walked the distance in the same elapsed time (three weeks)

Bodhbh

Guru
I budget about 10mph including breaks for general rolling stuff. Obviously at the extremes of gradient it goes out, but in the middle tends to regulate itself - if it's flat I arse around more and if it's hilly I take the day more seriously and put my back in.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Around 11mph. Luggage-wise, I travel relatively light (25 litres total, split between bike stuff, clothes and gadgets), but the trike isn't the lightest of bikes to start with. I also budget plenty of time for cake and ice-cream stops, of course.

P.H

Über Member
I usually average around 10 mph between campsites, including a bit of time sightseeing, photo ops and lunch and cake stops. I can push it a bit if I want and get it close to the speed I'd do on day rides 13-14 mph, but that's for times when it's more about the cycling than the touring. It also depends a bit on distance, when I do 100+ mpd tours I don't care how long it takes, just that I get in feeling willing and able to do it again the next day.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for your answers guys.

I just wanted to know if I was riding faster or slower than the norm. But it appears we all ride at around the same speed.

Steve

Top Bottom