What's your biggest regular(ish) climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Cubist said:
Aye. Trinity Street/Westbourne Road/New Hey Road all the way from town to Outlane R'about. Small stretch down from the r'about to Outlane village then up to Round Ings, then up Round Ings Hill to Scape village. 5.9 miles, climbs over 900 feet. If you want to add interest you can continue up the A640 to Buckstones which adds another more or less continuous 5 miles uphill, gaining probably another 400 or so feet. Proper hills. :smile:
Near my partner's parents there's a 6.05 mile climb out of their village to the south, it's only a 2675ft ascent... now THAT is a proper climb :blush:, its lead in is a pair of narrow switch-back hairpins & then you're straight into the steepest bit at 21%. I do that every other day if I'm there but it's not exactly a regular thing considering they live in Italy.

Cubist

Still wavin'
GrasB said:
Near my partner's parents there's a 6.05 mile climb out of their village to the south, it's only a 2675ft ascent... now THAT is a proper climb :blush:, its lead in is a pair of narrow switch-back hairpins & then you're straight into the steepest bit at 21%. I do that every other day if I'm there but it's not exactly a regular thing considering they live in Italy.

And a bit of a contrast from Cambridge no doubt! My daily return commute isn't steep, just a long drawn out drag of a climb.

3tyretrackterry

I climbed it yesterday on my trike- Beacon Hill Leicestershire marker at top says 8% approx 3.5 miles thats from Quorn side there is also a short side which i use more often as a way of getting to top so i can race down into Quorn
there is also Sharpley Hill and Hunts Hill as well in my area both of them are excruciating to climb on my trike

GrasB

Veteran
Cubist said:
And a bit of a contrast from Cambridge no doubt! My daily return commute isn't steep, just a long drawn out drag of a climb.
Just a bit, in all honesty I find it easier, hills you can get into & drive up with a sustained effort & nice long recovery periods.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey, where do I start...? :blush:

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

Domeo

Seven Sisters Road up to Finsbury Park from the Tottenham side. No particularly big or steep but a bit of a killer on fixed. Fridays can be a grovel.

Bayerd

Über Member
Cubist said:
Aye. Trinity Street/Westbourne Road/New Hey Road all the way from town to Outlane R'about. Small stretch down from the r'about to Outlane village then up to Round Ings, then up Round Ings Hill to Scape village. 5.9 miles, climbs over 900 feet. If you want to add interest you can continue up the A640 to Buckstones which adds another more or less continuous 5 miles uphill, gaining probably another 400 or so feet. Proper hills. :blush:

That's a route I do from time to time, down Manchester Road to get the legs going, up Gledholt Road/Bank, up New Hey Road, then up to the Jack O Mitre before dropping down past Slawit Hall. The thing with this route as you'll know is that as well as the constant climbing, you've usually got a head wind to contend with as well for the majority of it.

If I'm not going that way, I can either pick Standedge which climbs over 500ft in a couple of miles, or through Meltham and up Wessenden Head to the Ilse of Skye road. Slawit up to Scape is another good'un. Surrounded by hills here....

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Norm said:
Fluffy

Colour me paranoid but did you really just post your home and work location for all to see? :smile: You are braver than I for doing that.

Well if anyone wants to pay me a visit to cause trouble, I am pretty well built and a 3rd degree black belt in karate :blush:

PK99

Legendary Member
Box hill - 2.5k, 120m climb. avg 5% max 15%.......often at the end of a run out through the surrey hills

Ranmore - 2.2k 130m climb avg 5.3% max 15%

Took my non cycling 21 year old daughter out on those last week on mtbs - she hardly broke pace to go up the hills! But she is a university rower and trains 6 times a week!

montage

God Almighty
XmisterIS said:
On my way back from Portsmouth, when I am feeling energetic, I take in Portsdown Hill. The downhill is exhilarating (I can go above 40mph!).

The uphill route that I take, however, comes up past QA Hospital and it is an absolutely relentless uphill in the lowest or next-to-lowest gear (well, for me anyway!). According to Google maps, It is a climb of 300 vertical feet and is almost exactly 1 mile long, with no slack in the gradient at any point! I call it the "Hill of Death".

I should do it more often because there aren't any hills in my regular commute!

What is your biggest regular unbroken climb? To qualify it needs to be climbable in low gear only for the entire length (so no climbs with nice little flattish bits in the middle!). EDIT: And no getting off your bike for a rest! :rofl:

love that hill :biggrin:
We do our hill climb on that (though not that road)

Chrisc

Guru
My soon to be 8 miles commute home has a section that climbs 400 feet in 1.6 miles and just gets cruelly steeper right to the death, Last couple of hundred yards kicks up to 12%, just to be certain that your are properly knackered. The six miles leading up to this is also all uphill but more gradual so OK. The last 2 miles are rolling hills and a final short climb home.
Going in is no problem...

Top Bottom