What's your biggest regular(ish) climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
XmisterIS said:
What is your biggest regular unbroken climb? To qualify it needs to be climbable in low gear only for the entire length (so no climbs with nice little flattish bits in the middle!). EDIT: And no getting off your bike for a rest! :cold:
I think I've just seen a flaw in these requirements, I don't have to drop off the top chainring (53:11-23) to ride this:
r1jsdh.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chrisc said:
I see, I'm on a compact 50/34 with a 12-25 as it came. Managing my relatively ( to your mind) small hills OK bar one which is a hell of a grind at 12% for the last few hundred yards. Hoping that I get strong enough to climb easier before it kills me!

Was thinking of a 13-28 but now determined to stock with this for the time being. A 13-28 might come in handy when I try Holme Moss later this year.
Climbing definitely does get easier with practice. It still hurts though because you just tend go up the hills faster but at least you have the option of slowing down rather than dismounting!

I'd still find a few hundred yards of 12% difficult. I can do mile after mile of 4% or 100 yards at 20% but fairly long, fairly steep hills really get to my back.

I've climbed Holme Moss from the Holmfirth side about 5 times now. 3 times I found it really hard and had to stop to stretch my back. On a couple of occasions when I was fit I really enjoyed it and didn't find it too bad. I've never done it into one of the strong winds that you can get up there - that would be simply horrid. Oh, and watch the descent towards Woodhead! It's not hard to get up to 50+ mph and getting caught by a gust of crosswind at those speeds is a bit scary... :cold:

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
Climbing definitely does get easier with practice. It still hurts though because you just tend go up the hills faster but at least you have the option of slowing down rather than dismounting!

I'd still find a few hundred yards of 12% difficult. I can do mile after mile of 4% or 100 yards at 20% but fairly long, fairly steep hills really get to my back.

I've climbed Holme Moss from the Holmfirth side about 5 times now. 3 times I found it really hard and had to stop to stretch my back. On a couple of occasions when I was fit I really enjoyed it and didn't find it too bad. I've never done it into one of the strong winds that you can get up there - that would be simply horrid. Oh, and watch the descent towards Woodhead! It's not hard to get up to 50+ mph and getting caught by a gust of crosswind at those speeds is a bit scary... :cold:

I'd be turning round and coming straight back down this side, nearer to home after that. I reckon the worst bit is out of Holmebridge itself rather than the top sectio, unless it's windy as you say.
Just found a Miche cassette 12-29 for my campag rear hub so that will probably be needed before I go for it. Give me a 5" smaller gear at the bottom.
My worst climb is the one on my commute, uphill steady for a few miles then that kick in the teeth, hurts like hell at the moment but I've not had to stop....yet.

GrasB

Veteran
XmisterIS said:
:cold:

Are you one of the Borg?
No just comfortable enough at 60rpm to not warrant dropping onto the bottom chainring if I'm really going for it. I wouldn't call doing that on the top 'ring easy though.

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
I'd be turning round and coming straight back down this side, nearer to home after that. I reckon the worst bit is out of Holmebridge itself rather than the top sectio, unless it's windy as you say.
I'd toyed with the idea of riding over there and going over Holme Moss then turning round at the bottom of the descent and doing it back the other way but I've never managed to find enough motivation!

Chrisc said:
Just found a Miche cassette 12-29 for my campag rear hub so that will probably be needed before I go for it. Give me a 5" smaller gear at the bottom.
I use a 13-29 campag cassette on my Cannondale. There isn't really much use for a 12-tooth sprocket for the kind of cycling that I do.

Ujamaflip

XmisterIS said:
Das scheint mir eine große Herausforderung!

Have you ever been up the Katzenbuckel near Eberbach? It's a killer! And don't stop in Eberbach between 14:00 and 15:00 - everything is shut!

I hadn't heard of the Katzenbuckel before now, it looks steep but it looks like a really nice area. Will get myself up there some time, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
I'd toyed with the idea of riding over there and going over Holme Moss then turning round at the bottom of the descent and doing it back the other way but I've never managed to find enough motivation!

I use a 13-29 campag cassette on my Cannondale. There isn't really much use for a 12-tooth sprocket for the kind of cycling that I do.

Not for me doing it twice!
Not sure if I can fit anything except Miche to the miche hub? They don't make a 12-29 but I suppose a cassette can be rebuilt with individual sprockets to whatever you want? I can't spin out my 12 either but I do like rolling it gently at speed!

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
Not sure if I can fit anything except Miche to the miche hub?
Er, you said that you had a Campag hub! :smile:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Ujamaflip said:
I hadn't heard of the Katzenbuckel before now, it looks steep but it looks like a really nice area. Will get myself up there some time, thanks for the tip ;)

It's lovely! And if you want a nice gentle way to finish the ride on a hot, sunny afternoon, you can enjoy a totally flat ride along the bank of the river Neckar heading Westbound from Eberbach to Heidelberg, which is a very beutiful city. Coming along the river, you arrive right in the middle of the old town, right beside the Alte Brucke. You can then cross the Alte Brucke and ascend the Koenigstuhl, if you really want to punish yourself!

Top Bottom