What's your BMI?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by mickle, 10 Apr 2010.

1. 29 @ 6'1" and 16st mines. Borderline obese!

Clearly got some work to do.

2. KevinG

KevinG Active Member

I think mine is the same at 14 stone and 5'10".

Although I accept that I could lose a bit of extra timber, I'm fairly solidly built, always have been, broad shouldered and nobody agrees that I am borderline obese! Far from it!

I think the BMI system is a bit antiquated and makes no allowance for build type. It just gives a doctors a common system to measure everyone by.

3. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

:smile:

Went for a "well man" check the other day. I gave up the fags last August and have enjoyed my food a bit too much since. My BMI is (according to the Nurse), 34, which I think is officially "fat f*cker" :blush:.

BMI is absolutely useless without a skinfold measurement or whatever to look at percentage body fat. BMI is a guide, but lean muscle weighs more than fat, so the majority of rugby players, for example will have high BMI's.

4. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

5. downfader

downfader extimus uero philosophus

180 !!!

:blush:

6. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

5'8" & 12st 8lb
    26.8 over-weight :smile:... body fat measured about 9 months ago 8.6% :blush:

7. eldudino

eldudino Bike Fluffer

Used to be 37.7 (have I got the top trumps?), now 26.2.

6' tall, 87.5kg, I used to be 126kg!!!

8. IIRC Im 5'9 & 1/4" and I'm 9st10 if the BBC calculator is right that makes me a BMI of 20.12.

9. Chrisc

Chrisc Über Member

23.4 now but last June I was overweight at 27, or as my doctor kindly put it, a bit of a fat ba***rd...

10. eldudino

eldudino Bike Fluffer

That's nearly Nicole Richie territory, mate! :blush::smile:

11. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

12. XmisterIS

XmisterIS Purveyor of fine nonsense

I think BMI is a whole handcart full of crap!

I am 6'0", 34" waist (should be 32"), weight of 85Kg. I therefore have a BMI of 25.4, which classifies me as "overweight". When I have a waist of 32", I weigh 80Kg, I have almost no fat whatsoever, yet I still have a BMI of 23.9, which is still "overweight". To get down to BMI "normal" I would look like a skeleton.

13. eldudino

eldudino Bike Fluffer

Anything below 25 is in the 'healthy' range. BMI doesn't account for muscle mass though so athletes find it difficult to go by but for the general public I don't think it's too bad a tool.

14. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

We must not be looking for excuses.:blush:
    I think quite a number of regular cyclists could never be described as athletes.:smile::blush::eek:

15. eldudino

eldudino Bike Fluffer

I meant real athletes, not us bunch of soft-pedalling lardo's!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice