What's your BMI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinG

I think mine is the same at 14 stone and 5'10".

Although I accept that I could lose a bit of extra timber, I'm fairly solidly built, always have been, broad shouldered and nobody agrees that I am borderline obese! Far from it!

I think the BMI system is a bit antiquated and makes no allowance for build type. It just gives a doctors a common system to measure everyone by.

Cubist

Still wavin'
mickle said:
29 @ 6'1" and 16st mines. Borderline obese!

Clearly got some work to do.

:smile:

Went for a "well man" check the other day. I gave up the fags last August and have enjoyed my food a bit too much since. My BMI is (according to the Nurse), 34, which I think is officially "fat f*cker" :blush:.

BMI is absolutely useless without a skinfold measurement or whatever to look at percentage body fat. BMI is a guide, but lean muscle weighs more than fat, so the majority of rugby players, for example will have high BMI's.

Chrisc

Guru
23.4 now but last June I was overweight at 27, or as my doctor kindly put it, a bit of a fat ba***rd...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I think BMI is a whole handcart full of crap!

I am 6'0", 34" waist (should be 32"), weight of 85Kg. I therefore have a BMI of 25.4, which classifies me as "overweight". When I have a waist of 32", I weigh 80Kg, I have almost no fat whatsoever, yet I still have a BMI of 23.9, which is still "overweight". To get down to BMI "normal" I would look like a skeleton.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
XmisterIS said:
When I have a waist of 32", I weigh 80Kg, I have almost no fat whatsoever, yet I still have a BMI of 23.9, which is still "overweight"

Anything below 25 is in the 'healthy' range. BMI doesn't account for muscle mass though so athletes find it difficult to go by but for the general public I don't think it's too bad a tool.

snorri

Legendary Member
eldudino said:
BMI doesn't account for muscle mass though so athletes find it difficult to go by but for the general public I don't think it's too bad a tool.
We must not be looking for excuses.:blush:
I think quite a number of regular cyclists could never be described as athletes.:smile::blush::eek:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
snorri said:
We must not be looking for excuses.:blush:
I think quite a number of regular cyclists could never be described as athletes.:smile::blush::eek:

I meant real athletes, not us bunch of soft-pedalling lardo's!

Top Bottom