What's your favourite science fiction book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow. 1972...
Um? They had science in 1972.

Loved that book. When I saw this thread title come up, I thought of posting it as a possibility. Except for the wish fulfilment Mary Sue stuff about fat middle age man having low gravity sex with moon maiden xx(

Against stupidity the gods themselves labour in vain (probably misquoted).
Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens

I have been reading The Martian for the past few months. I thought i'd read it before the film came out, and treat myself to a cinematic experience. I'm just not finding the time to read it. I prefer to read in bed prior to sleeping but, these days, when i go to bed there are two or three people there already and they would not appreciate me turning a light on. There's even one of them who gets disturbed by the racket of a page being turned. Nevertheless, The Martian is a good read. A real page-turner. There isn't any fancy SF paradigm shifts (not that there's anything wrong with that), and the constant science/engineering waffle has the likes of little old me sufficiently convinced.
you need a kindle

Padraig

One of the best sci-fi books I ever read was one I borrowed from another boy at school in the sixties. It was actually my introduction to science fiction. It was called The Best of Sci-Fi 5. As the name suggests, it was one of a series of anthologies, and the stories in it, including some by Ray Bradbury, crossed over well into science fantasy and stories about strange events in mundane settings. Don't know if that series is still in print, but I'd love to read them again.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Journey to the Centre of the Earth & 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Journey sparked my interest in rock collecting and is likely the reason why I'm a geologist today:smile:

20,000 Leagues - read it only after seeing the Disney movie with James Mason, probably the definitive portrayal of Nemo. A genius scientist anti-hero, so I knobbled him as my handle on these forums^_^.

Some people have mentioned 2001, which wasn't originally a novel but a short story. I believe A.C.Clarke fleshed it out a bit after the film came out.

Hitch Hikers Guide - some believe the radio series is based on the book, but it's the other way around.

One of the best sci-fi books I ever read was one I borrowed from another boy at school in the sixties. It was actually my introduction to science fiction. It was called The Best of Sci-Fi 5. As the name suggests, it was one of a series of anthologies, and the stories in it, including some by Ray Bradbury, crossed over well into science fantasy and stories about strange events in mundane settings. Don't know if that series is still in print, but I'd love to read them again.
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-best-of-sci-fi-5/author/judith-merril-ed/ ?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The Bible.
I once found it in the sci-fi section of water stones. good read if you ask me. people walking on water, killing giants and being super strong due to there hair. Awesome!

*runs and hides*[
/QUOTE]

Nah, the Bible is way above science & fiction.

Reactions: gaz

Padraig

Thanks for that, SavageHoutkop. Must see about getting hold of a copy. I currently have, as yet unread, a beautifully-produced Everyman edition of the stories of Ray Bradbury. Those Everyman editions are really excellent. Sadly, the only one of his Dublin stories in it is The Anthem Sprinters.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I suppose if Brave New World is science fiction then 1984 is.

I always liked the film Zardoz. I assume it was based on a book. I may have to get it out one day.

strange film Zardoz, at one level corny pretentious tosh, yet everytime it's on I find myself watching it yet again, and the final scene literally brings a tear to my eye. And i'm still thinking about yet another set of Beethoven symponies just to get Egine Jochum's sublime version of the Largo from the 7th

Last edited:
Top Bottom