What's your favourite science fiction book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I read a book years ago that featured a man travelling back through time in stages. At each stage he met a character, his implacable enemy, who was in effect travelling to other way. His enemy though was just living a kind of immortal life.
The enemy was in fact a Neanderthal and was opposed to humans and was fighting a desperate losing battle through the ages.
Can anyone tell me the name of the book or the author?
I believe this is "Orion" by Ben Bova

ska1903

Über Member
I am currently reading the revelation space books by Alastair Reynolds. Fantastic dark, gothic Sci-Fi.

Just finished the commonwealth saga by Peter F Hamilton as well. Very good but a bit too long.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm currently reading every novel that won, or was multiply nominated, for any of the major SF awards since 2002 for some research I am doing on science fiction post-9/11... I've read some excellent novels that I somehow missed at the time (Gwyneth Jones' Life, for example) but also had to endure some crap (e.g. Robert Sawyer's WWW trilogy). I can thoroughly recomment the late Banks's best mate Ken Macleod's latest, Intrusion, too.

And Saluki, that was a pretty pointless comment, wasn't it?

Recommendation taken :smile:

postman

Legendary Member
Most probably been done once or thrice before - however I can't stop myself.
The Conservative Party Manifesto by Cameron/Thatcher.
Closely followed by The Liberal Party Manifesto by Cameron's Bitch.
You beat me too it.

asterix

Comrade Member
I enjoy re-reading H.G. Wells, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine. I reckon I am probably a Morlock

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm-i04MhhuWWYha-T_aMtGDIP7NzgRW1bto1phhWWOnc7oYuCC-Q.jpg

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
it'd be a toss up between ringworld by larry niven, the illyum/olympus books by dan simmons or excession by iain m banks.
i'm a sucker for space opera's.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i reckon both niven and banks got their idea's from freeman dyson, the idea that you could encompass a star to capture its energy is fantastic in every sense of the word, true sci-fi :biggrin:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am in the mood for reading some more sci-fi. I finished The Time Machine last week. Interesting, invent a time machine to take you to 800,000 AD, then run around hitting people with an iron bar. I borrowed The Day of the Triffids off someone. I am intrigued by The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin, shelved under G not L at Waterstones. I feel I ought to read Arthur C Clarke and Issac Asimov. Which of their books would you recommend if you could only read one of each.

Top Bottom