Whats your favourite western film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Oh and Soldier Blue

PaulB

Legendary Member
Dances with Wolves. When I saw that in the cinema, it was so good, I didn't want it to end.

High Plains Drifter

Unforgiven

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pretty much any western with Clint in it ^_^
Have you seen Pale Rider??

I'd rate Unforgiven as the best made in "modern" times, but it wouldn't exist (or at least, make sense) without the hundreds of conventional gunslinger movies that came before it.

Magnificent Seven is the one that sticks in my memory from the hey-day of such things (and I was a kid then, bear in mind!)

Where do folks rank The Gay Cowboy Movie Brokeback Mountain ?

beastie

Guru
Can we have a slight thread diversion and do Western books;
The Thicket - Joe R Landsdale
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry

There's a few others but those were the first that came to mind.
I like Macarthy a lot but he fair waffles on in Blood Meridian. I really liked All the Pretty Horses, and Cities of the Plain. Neither is a good as No Country for Old Men or The Road(though that’s not a western). Lonesome Dove is very entertaining. Have you read The Son by Phillip Meyer? It’s a fine read.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Anyone else noticed there are barely any westerns in bookshops. There's lots of thrillers set in the Dark Ages and Roman times, and plenty of seafaring books, but not many westerns. All there is is Lonesome Dove, True Grit and Blood Meridian.

I like Macarthy a lot but he fair waffles on in Blood Meridian. I really liked All the Pretty Horses, and Cities of the Plain. Neither is a good as No Country for Old Men or The Road(though that’s not a western). Lonesome Dove is very entertaining. Have you read The Son by Phillip Meyer? It’s a fine read.
Yep, read The Son, as you say, very good read. The Road is absolutely brilliant IMO. What I liked about Blood Meridian was how far away it is from the 'traditional' western narrative.

Top Bottom