Whats your favourite western film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think Wind River would run a very close second to Hell or High Water for a modern take on the genre. The climactic shootout scene is fantastic. When Jeremy tenner takes on heavily armed bad guys with the Marlin 1895SBL big game hunting rifle the results are spectacular.
I have that on re-cord.....must watch it soon.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Dont recall seeing that one though the title rings a bell. I must google it.
Cant recall Kirk ever being in a bad film.
It’s a comedy western......

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Watched the Magnificent 7 yesterday. I had forgotten just how many actors played such good parts.
Eli Wallach..... brilliant.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE="AndyRM, post: 6043046, member:
No Country for Old Men
[/QUOTE]
Fantastic film. I hadn’t thought of it as a Western, but I suppose it is.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Most of the ones mentioned in this thread are great films. I have a particular liking for the The Big Sky, Howard Hawks, 1952, starring a very young Kirk Douglas, Dewey Martin and an utterly un-PC blacked-up Elizabeth Threatt as the Native American princess. The action centres on a trading mission up the Missouri river from St Louis in 1832, into hostile unknown territory. It captures the vastness of the country, does justice to the French culture and history — the Louisiana Territory was sold to the USA by France in 1803 — and tells a rattling good tale with some excellent character actors who frequently steal the scenes. Arthur Hunnicutt, centre in the picture, plays frontiersman Uncle Zeb with what must be one of the greatest performances never to have won an Oscar. A DVD you will never regret buying — and that music will play along in your head for thousands upon thousands of miles.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Dances with Wolves (directors cut).

At last in the 90's, a western seen through the eyes of Native Americans:okay:.
I think that's why Hombre is such a great film. Until I saw it, westerns were all either gunslingers, or bad Indians circling plucky pioneers or the US army huddled in their wagons. Hombre changed that for me and made me look at things differently.

All the old classics have been mentioned

So I'll go with a new(ish) classic...Brokeback Mountain
Supposedly shown on italian telly without the kiss scene.
(Can't remember if it was a berlusconi mediaset channels or RAI, bits of which pander to the catholic church.)

AndyRM

XOXO
Supposedly shown on italian telly without the kiss scene.
(Can't remember if it was a berlusconi mediaset channels or RAI, bits of which pander to the catholic church.)

It was, as was the tent shagging scene.

The excuse was that a pre-watershed cut had been requested. Only it was shown post watershed. And they left the hetty spaghetti sex in.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint becomes a progressive redneck and adopts an Indian into his dysfunctional family, whistles Dixie and kicks Yankees' asses

View: https://youtu.be/en9rfsUGDkc

Once Upon Time in The West - because no other movie in the genre comes close in scope, epicness, score and no other movie has better ending

View: https://youtu.be/MChncO2OaGA

Guilty pleasures - Perfect world with Eastwood and Costner
Open Range with Costner again and Duvall

Last edited:
Top Bottom