Whats your favourite western film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rustyroger

The Culpepper Cattle Company I think one of the best movies both as a coming of age movie and depicting the West as it probably really was.
Unforgiven has a case for being the best Clint Eastwood Western. It also showed the west as the dirty, disease ridden, lawless, hardscrabble struggle that was probably much nearer the reality than any John Ford western depicted.
Blazing Saddles and Cat Ballou are two great comedy westerns, The Ballad of Cable Hogue deserves consideration too, along with Support Your Local Sherriff, with Kenneth More in a most unlikely leading role.
Paint Your Wagon gets my vote for the best Musical Western.
My favourite? depends on the mood I'm in at the time.

Roger.

slow scot

Veteran
Re Once Upon a Time in The West. I just played the sound track.....very very moving**
I love the harmonica but the actual sound track...WoW. if you google it for reviews people choose it for funeral music.
Fabulous film and music.

Just about all my candidates for favourite have been mentioned above, especially under the 'anything with Clint in' banner. This nomination is much more recent (2017) and arguably not a film, but I see it as a very long film (7.5 hours) as I watched it in a single sitting and it's very much like a film divided into sections. 'Godless', a Netlfix production. Failing that, 'Unforgiven'.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Of the historic setting westerns, that's be Unfogiven.

Of the modern ones, Hell or High Water.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bought Unforgiven years back on VHS, just finally upgraded to Blu-ray & got it with Josey Wales & Pale Rider in a triple pack…

Apart from those already mentioned, Django Unchained. Hateful Eight I thoroughly enjoyed too, but Django has the magnificent Christoph Waltz.

Bought Unforgiven years back on VHS, just finally upgraded to Blu-ray & got it with Josey Wales & Pale Rider in a triple pack…

Apart from those already mentioned, Django Unchained. Hateful Eight I thoroughly enjoyed too, but Django has the magnificent Christoph Waltz.
Sorry, but although a fan of much else of QT's output, I thought Hateful Eight was tripe.

Top Bottom