Whats your favourite western film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fergs

Guru
Lots of good 'uns so far. I'll add these...
The Professionals
Seraphim Falls
Slow West
Ravenous
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I watched Rio Lobo the other day - John Wayne, Jack Elam and others.
Found it quite entertaining, amusing in places and believable.
There were some great one liners in it.

Once upon a time in the West , is one I really took to , The Big Country star studied cast and one of the best ever theme tunes , Soldier Blue caused a stir as I remember . The Outlaw Josey Wales was good , True Grit , the John Wayne version ,
Ah beat me too it on the Big Country - am not a great western person but a friend recommended it - it turned up on one of the freeview Sony movie channels the other day so doubtless will be on again - once I realised it was by the great William Wyler I had to watch it.

Yes the theme is wonderful - even folks who don't associate it with the film will surely know it - listening to it again just now it struck me that it would be a great musical accompaniment to the start of a good day's social bike-ride with a group of mates off into the countryside.

the entire opening of the film is great as well - must have been amazing to see it in an old fashioned picture palace - after this opening you'd know that something good was coming.

Enjoy folks:

(and no CGI!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdmOpXJHR4

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Long Riders, a downbeat film about the James Gang was really good. Ry Cooder on the soundtrack helped.

As a kid in the 50s and 60s I'm a great fan of Westerns. Too many to name one favourite but Once Upon a Time in the West has to be up there, as does The Searchers.

Once, on a road trip around the South West US, we stayed in a small town called Lone Pine in California, just west of Death Valley and found out that a couple of miles outside town were the Alabama Hills where hundreds of Westerns were made including OUATITW and the TV series The Lone Ranger and Bonanza. My friend and I were like big kids and had a great time wandering and climbing around that iconic area of giant boulders and canyons.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
There's an identical thread from 2010, here's what I wrote then:

It's probably not my favourite but a western worth mentioning is The Great Silence (or The Big Silence as it was called when I saw it on Alex Cox's Moviedrome series a few years ago on the telly) It is a good film, renowned for its bleak ending. If you like spaghetti westerns and you have not seen it then give it a go.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ah beat me too it on the Big Country - am not a great western person but a friend recommended it - it turned up on one of the freeview Sony movie channels the other day so doubtless will be on again - once I realised it was by the great William Wyler I had to watch it.

Yes the theme is wonderful - even folks who don't associate it with the film will surely know it - listening to it again just now it struck me that it would be a great musical accompaniment to the start of a good day's social bike-ride with a group of mates off into the countryside.

the entire opening of the film is great as well - must have been amazing to see it in an old fashioned picture palace - after this opening you'd know that something good was coming.

Enjoy folks:

(and no CGI!)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdmOpXJHR4

The Big Country music sounds kind of empty after The Only Rhyme That Bites

Top Bottom