What's your formula for freeing off a VERY stuck seatpost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never had a stuck seatpost but I have had a very nearly-stuck stem. Same problem; can be even worse if the expander wedge has stretched the head tube or worn a groove into it, which isn't unheard of. Then it can be tricky to free the wedge before you even start to deal with the corroded-in stem.

Tom B

Guru
[QUOTE 5362485, member: 9609"]everytime a seat post thread appears I use it as a reminder to pull it out grease it up and push it back in - same with pedals they're another part that get themselves welded into place[/QUOTE]

Just done mine.thanks

Many years ago my uncle used to work on vintage tractors and canal boats. Amongst his kit was a heat gun /blow lamp and some freezer spray for what he called cold shocking things free. Freezer spray was probably very bad for the ozone layer. I think he'd heat up the part then squirt part of it with the freezer spray.

I have a distant memory of him doing it on something that looked like a huge track rod end that was on the back of a tractor and used for living the device on the back. There as something stuck through a huge eyelet.

Last edited:

Skanker

I use hot water to free stuck bolts, pedals, seat stems, etc.
Boil kettle, make tea, poor rest of water slowly over stuck fixing and hey presto!
Well, apart from my stuck Shimano pedals, broken 2 16mm spanner’s so far trying to remove those, which is a pain as that’s the only spanner I need for my boat engine.
After the 2 broken ones and the 3 I have dropped into my bilge, Halfords must think I collect them by now.

Top Bottom