What's your wildest Gear Ratio ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I am currently running 34x14 in commute mode, but I run 32x18 off road.

For those hard off road climbs I am thinking of dropping to 30x21 or even 30x22

Too much ???

Also, I was imagining putting a Ex-pander cog on the back and run 30x42

Anyone tried anything this wild ?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My road fixed (the only fixed I have) is either 43x17 or 43x18. The latter is not far from your commuting gear. I don't find it terribly wild.

iandg

Legendary Member
Bottom gear on my cross check is 24x32
My fixed commute bike is 48x21
When I converted my MTB to SS I rode 42x22
When I raced I used a 54x12 top gear (there was no such thing as an 11t sprocket back then)

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
39x15 on the fixed, with 17 as a freewheel.

On my late lamented Carbon Uberbike, I had a low of 26x28 for Ventoux. And boy, did I need it!
My Brompton M12R has a low of 21.8"...

Lonestar

Veteran
Recently 52x13 on the fixie but changed to 52x16 to get away at the lights from dodgy unpredictable motorists...Plus the others who don't bother to indicate till the lights change,which by then is not much use at all.

I've got spare 15 and 18 cogs.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Recently 52x13 on the fixie but changed to 52x16 to get away at the lights from dodgy unpredictable motorists...Plus the others who don't bother to indicate till the lights change,which by then is not much use at all.

I've got spare 15 and 18 cogs.

Blimey.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Interesting question! On road I'm very happy with something around 69" (46/19 with 27" wheels on mine).

Off road I've experimented with several different gear ratios for a SS build and never found one I was happy with. I tried 32/15 and 32/18 with 26" wheels which worked great for short blasts around the local trail centre but would be totally unusable on long Dartmoor rides.

I haven't tried any of the more sensible gears suggested here (@Hugh Manatee's 38/26 sounds a lot more manageable - is that on SS bike or is that the bottom gear on a geared bike?) so perhaps I'll give that a go sometime... but I can imagine getting frustrated with twiddling away like a deranged hamster on the flats!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
44/14 here I would go 44/13 but I don't have a 13 cog. I must admit, for a hilly day I will have a 15 and a 16 freewheel in case of trouble. I have not used the 16 yet.

Top Bottom