Wheel build - hard? Time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Touche said:
Fine if you have access to a grinding machine to make one from, what appears to be, an old cross head bit. For those of us that don't, a flat head screwdriver does the job nicely, for me this is the correct tool.

If you've done a good job of selecting the correct length spokes, the tip of the spoke will be about flush with the dome of the nipple when the wheel is correctly finished and spokes tensioned.

The 'pip' on the tool is hit by the end of the spoke and it lifts the screwdriver out of engagement. The end of the spoke is nicely 1mm below the dome of the nipple.

DON'T forget to get a 'Dishing tool' or make one from a piece of 3/4" plywood and a long bolt with a wing nut.
I will supply photos of my home made truing jig and dishing tool on request.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sam Kennedy said:
0.25mm was about as close I could get the pen to the rim without hearing a more or less continuous scrape, and I couldn't be bothered to try and get it any more exact.
The dishing is probably 3-5mm out though, after tightening and loosening 36 spokes, 3 times in a row, you would have to have OCD to do it a fourth time!

Swee'Pea, you really should try it! It makes the hours fly by!

Weird innit? I find it easier to get the dishing down to 0.5mm or better than to get them laterally true to 0.25mm

My dishing tool is home-made from scrap plywood. Shape is based on the cardboard one in Roger Musson's book, which, like JTM, I find excellent detailed and very easy to follow.

Sam Kennedy

I didn't have a dishing tool, I measured the gap between the rim and forks on each side, it's not very accurate since I need to eyeball the measurement, since the forks are rounded. I'll look into making a dishing tool, sounds like a good weekend project :wacko:

Matthames

Über Member
Touche said:
Fine if you have access to a grinding machine to make one from, what appears to be, an old cross head bit. For those of us that don't, a flat head screwdriver does the job nicely, for me this is the correct tool.

You can do it with out a grinding machine. You can do it with a bench vice, files and a liberal application of elbow grease.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Matthames said:
You can do it with out a grinding machine. You can do it with a bench vice, files

i take it you've tried filing a steel screwdriver tip (excluding poundland cheel/steese) before offering this up as realistic?:biggrin:

Matthames

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
i take it you've tried filing a steel screwdriver tip (excluding poundland cheel/steese) before offering this up as realistic?;)

As I say you need a liberal application of elbow grease. A screwdriver tip is a piece of cake compared to filing a piece of tool steel square to use in a self built ratchet driver.

Top Bottom