Wheel builders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thinking of getting a new set off wheels built, bought some handbuilts last year from a local builder but not too impressed with them, two spokes have broken this year already on the rear, which worries me. So who is the go too, any experience with Wheelsmith, DCRwheels or Cycleclinic ? Are a few I know off . I can keep my old ones as back ups.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
DCR Wheels all day long
Great price, great wheels and great customer service.
They are very happy to chat to see what you need and what they can recommend.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
In September 2012 I emailed Wheelsmith about a set of new wheels. I said what type of riding I did, and they suggested the best components for the job. When they arrived, they were put on the bike straight away, and have never been taken off. Almost 38,000 miles now, and they still run perfectly without having had any servicing, adjustments or truing at all.

DCR did a great job building my first custom set 5 years ago (MCFK carbon rims on Tune hubs). My wheels are as stiff and true as the day he built them. Never been re-trued and I've only just finished my first ever strip down and service of the hubs. David is really knowledgeable. He's a great listener, and won't rush you or push you into something you don't want. I really enjoyed dealing with him.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I decided to wait for the rear to be rebuilt at the LBS and has been now so all good again. Turns out my local wheel builder friend, is maybe not aware of the crap spokes he uses or maybe I`m just hard on wheels. Anyway rebuilt with new spokes,nipples and tubeless tape which was not what was fitted even after paying for that when the wheels were built ! You pays your money !

Last edited:
Top Bottom