Wheel Component Recommendations for Gravel Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm weighing up component options for a wheelbuild - these will be for my CX bike so will be taking a bit of hammer on gravel trails, woodland paths and some roads; mileage will be fairly low - no more than 1,000 or so a year (as most of my miles are done on the commuter and road bikes).

I weigh 9.5 stone. Sometimes I'll be carrying a bike packing bag with a few kilos in over the back wheel. Was thinking of going 32R/28F for durability.

I probably won't go tubeless, just because I like to faff with different tyre combos for different rides quite a bit, though I think I'd like tubeless-ready rims to give me that option in the future.

Rims-wise, I hear talk of Hed Belgiums and Stans Grail but I don't really know anything about decent rims. What options should I be looking at?

I'm also interested in any suggestions for hubs and spokes.

My budget is maleable up to a point - probably thinking £250-500 inc. build costs as a rough estimate.

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from anyone who has built offroad wheels themselves or done a lot of miles on handbuilts off the tarmac.

Cheers,

Andy

vickster

Legendary Member
How about asking Spa cycles? Although your budget is low end for their standard options

Venod

Eh up
Any advice would be much appreciated, especially from anyone who has built offroad wheels themselves or done a lot of miles on handbuilts off the tarmac.
I built a set with Grail rims 32 Sapim double butted front and rear 3 cross with Vincinitech hubs these are made in Taiwan for the South American market I think, the freewheel pawls broke on the hub after a fair few miles, I replaced it with a Hope hub,
These wheels are still used regular I run them tubeless and the tyres are easy to mount.
I also built and use some Pacenti rims 32 Sapim double 3 cross front and rear on Novatech hubs not done as much on these but a decent pair of wheels. with easy to mount tyres.
If I was to build another set I would use Hope hubs and probably Pacenti rims as they are eyeletted and IMO more build friendly than the Stans, who's recommended tension is a bit lower, although I may have exceeded this.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ryde Sputniks. Bombproof. Heavy though at around 650 or so grams per rim.
Shimano Deore, LX or XT are also reliable as anything else out there (better even) but the bearings are usually a little tight. Losen them a bit. Sapim Race and Strong spokes are Spa's standard.
Spa can build them easily within your budget.
Personally, I don't like going lower than 35c for offroading.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Have a look at Superstars.
I replaced the frankly shocking factory wheel on my GT Grade with a Stans Grail rim on Superstars own hub. No problems with it since, and I've got legs that weigh more than 9.5 stone :smile:

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Yes I’d second @Ajax Bay and have a read of DCR’s site, really informative. Also give Dave a ring he’s really helpful - he is currently building me a set of gravel wheels which came in really competitively as he has the Novatec hubs on special. H Plus Son Hydra 32 spoke rims, Sapim DB Race spokes and Novatec hubs, delivered for a shade over £300.

Top Bottom