Wheel flex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gps315

Über Member
Hi, looking to pull from the vast experience here.....

Just got a Scott P4 Sportster with 700*35 wheels and tyres

My question relates to the amount of flex you would expect from the front wheel while cornering.

When cornering at speed (over 10mph) the rim seems to rub the break blocks, its fine on the straight and the wheel when at rest is true.

Is the amount of flex acceptable?

Does it need spokes re-tensioning?

Should I just treat myself to a nice new stronger front wheel? Recommendations?

Thanks

Martin

dodgy

Also depends on how close your brake blocks are to the rim :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
First - does the rubbing happen on cornering both left & right?
If only one way I would suspect a cabling problem (turning handlebars can pull the brakes on if the cable too short)

As for the wheel:
Pluck the spokes, one at a time, like a guitar string.
Do they sound a clear note? or dull thud/rattle?

If the latter then re-tensioning is in order.

If you do it yourself, then make sure they all sound a similar note, as well as the wheel being round & true (obviously).

OTOH - a friend of mine has a similar bike, not a Scott but similar style & price range. We just put a new front wheel on it.... he can keep up with me now (which is not saying a lot, but he couldn't before)

gbb

Legendary Member
I was going to ask..did it do it before ?, but i see you've just got the bike. New i assume ?
Some wheels do flex. My Shimano Tiagras (relatively budget, but good training wheels) flex, they're known to. Perhaps yours are the same.

As Dodgy put forward, i just adjusted my calipers out a bit. TBH, i only noticed it at first (2 years ago). I dont even think about it now...it still does it, just got used to it.

e-rider

crappy member
I don't like any rim flex that is significant enough to make my brake block rub - it drives me mad! Had the same problem with an old pair of wheels. The wheels I have in all 3 bikes now don't do this so I'd say that your wheels are not up to much.

May be worth checking your bearings and spoke tension though just in case they are to blame.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Give the wheel a waggle to check for any play in the hub. If that's ok then with heel of hand on fork and fingers on rim try and pull the rim onto the brake block. If it's easy then the spokes need more tension.

vorsprung

Veteran
I don't think it is lateral wheel flex. It just doesn't seem likely that a wheel would do that.

I think it is the cables from the bars being pulled when you corner as they are too short or incorrectly routed

OP
OP
gps315

gps315

Über Member
thanks for the replys, have been out to check some of the suggestions

No play in the hub, all seems nice and tight

Breaks are a couple of mm away both sides

Cables are clear and when cornering its more a lean than turn if you know what i mean......

I'm thinking its just pure force putting a small amount of flex

Will spend some more time checking over the spokes

thanks for your input.......If i were to be looking for a replacement what would you suggest?

Thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
What would be your budget for replacement wheel?

Go with handbuilts if you can possibly afford it.
Assuming you are sticking with 35 mm tyres maybe something like Spa Cycles build of Sputnik Rim on Deore Hub £65 + £5 p&p (front & rear)

mattski72

Hi there.
When i bought my P4 cornering was rubbish, wouldnt hold a good arc around a corner.
changed the standard tyres for some 28mm specialized all condition road tyres and havnt experienced the problem since.

OP
OP
gps315

gps315

Über Member
Thanks for the reply mattski72, was thinking of replacing the tyre after an off in the wet where i would have expected much more grip

Will just crack on and buy those marathon plus boots i have been looking at....

Top Bottom