Wheel for old MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a 1989 Scott Boulder that I'm considering rebuilding as a tourer. The rear Over Locknut Distance (OLD) of the frame is 130mm, it originally had a 6 speed cassette. It gets used from time to time as a knockabout bike and has a 135mm OLD wheel in at present, but the frame has not been "cold set" so it springs back to 130mm when the wheel is removed.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of wheels built up with current 105 hubs and 26 inch 32 spoke rims as this would give me a 130mm OLD rear wheel. I'd probably use a 10 speed triple MTB transmission, Deore for example.

Are there any gotchas in this plan please?

Thanks

Graham

Ajax Bay

Guru
From a touring thread:
If you're planning on doing tours with a lot of luggage, I'd stick with 9 speed. This allows you to mix road and MTB components and get the range of gears you want for loaded touring with sti shifters. . . . . Shimano sell endless options for road bikes and MTB, but they don't really cater for touring bikes at all, especially with the higher end stuff.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Old bikes from that era can make great tourers. My old MTB race bike is built up as my do anything touring bike. A 1990 Saracen Kili Flier Comp, it has a shortish top tube and is very stable. It is of course as strong as a tank. It had a full seven speed Deore XT II groupset when I bought it new and right from the start I wondered if the frame was built for six gears as the wheel had to be helped into the dropouts.

Might get the ruler out and check the spacing.

Top Bottom