Wheel not spinning freely

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I took the wheels off of my Triban 3 to fit some new tyres, everything went fine and I was putting the front wheel back on and when I spin it, it spins for a few seconds and then stops. It doesn't spin freely and you can hear a 'rubbing' sound, despite disconnecting the brakes completely, it's still there. It's making me think that the axel (hub?) isn't properly greased, it was working fine up until tonight.

Not only that, I was ajdusting the brakes and then I looked at the cable and it was frayed, I haven't touched the brakes since I got the bike so I assume that it was like that before I bought it. Not mad about that, a new brake cable would to the trick but the wheel makes the bike unrideable.

If anyone can give me some suggestions on what I should do or if I will be better off taking the bike to Decathlon, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tyres not rubbing anywhere?
Brakes not rubbing?
Wheel aligned correctly, although to be fair, you'd see tyre rub.
Quick release too tight?

Take the wheel back out and hold the axle and spin the wheel, is it still tight ? If it's free, then the fitting of the wheel in the frame was incorrect somewhere.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
As above - presumably the wheel wasn't seated right or the tyre was rubbing

The cable should have come with some cable end caps that you crimp onto the wire. See if you can wind it back into shape and then get some caps for the rest of the bike from the LBS.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
if the wheel span fine before you took it off, then it can't be sitting correctly in the drop-outs. Remove and re-fit...
+1

For the cable, if you cant find a crimp, stick a piece of insulation tape round the end of the cable to prevent it fraying any more for now (or if you're lazy like me, for a few months :blush:).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Fixed the wheel, I think that the quick release was overtightened. As for the brake cable, it literally disintegrated when I was adjusting it. Going to remove it and get a new one later on. Thanks for the help, very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Maz

Guru
Fixed the wheel, I think that the quick release was overtightened. As for the brake cable, it literally disintegrated when I was adjusting it. Going to remove it and get a new one later on. Thanks for the help, very much appreciated! :thumbsup:
I got a set of 2xbrake cables + 2xgear cables, plus cable ends for £4 from Asda (the megastore Asda, not the average Asda, but you might find it in there). Very good value IMO.

Glyn

Regular
I got a set of 2xbrake cables + 2xgear cables, plus cable ends for £4 from Asda (the megastore Asda, not the average Asda, but you might find it in there). Very good value IMO.

Thanks for the heads up on that

If you don’t have a Supercentre near you, you can order on line for a free local pickup :highfive:

Top Bottom