Wheel not spinning freely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

So whilst I was looking for the creaks on my bike,

I noticed my rear wheel does not spin freely when on the bike.

In my hand, it spins freely.

What could this be?

It not rubbing the brake pads.

Any help, thanks,

si_c

Guru
Rubbing the brake pads or not seated in the dropouts properly.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s a strange one. Could still be the pads if the rim is not running true. As above is the wheel running central between the chainstays and not rubbing on them?

OP
OP
L

Lauris

2 more things came to light:

1: I seem to be missing a couple wheel bearings, 2 or so. I think I lost some from when I checked that area last time.
2: The threads where the qr axle goes through on one side the thread is longer, If I try to even it out the hub becomes loose.:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

OP
OP
L

Lauris

2 more things came to light:

1: I seem to be missing a couple wheel bearings, 2 or so. I think I lost some from when I checked that area last time.
2: The threads where the qr axle goes through on one side the thread is longer, If I try to even it out the hub becomes loose.:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Also one side is full with bearing the other side is missing a few... I was thinking can I just even it out and borrow some from the other side?^_^^_^

OP
OP
L

Lauris

I think we need a pic.

So this is the side that has some bearing missing. I have another spare wheel which has bearing i could use. But I don't know how important are they for a bicycle

Attachments

• 20200821_200041.jpg
    20200821_200041.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 28

C R

Guru
So this is the side that has some bearing missing. I have another spare wheel which has bearing i could use. But I don't know how important are they for a bicycle
Rather important, as you have already noticed, the wheel won't spin freely otherwise.

Ideally you should take the cassette out, clean the cup properly, put in as many bearings as they will fit in the circumference, and then take one out. That will be the correct number of bearings. It would be a good idea to have a tray under the wheel while you do that, to catch any bearing that might fall.

si_c

Guru
Shimano hubs run with 9 bearings - you are missing three on that side. This will cause lots of problems not least of which the wheel won't turn properly.

Edit to add: that should read 9 bearings per side.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Rather important, as you have already noticed, the wheel won't spin freely otherwise.

Ideally you should take the cassette out, clean the cup properly, put in as many bearings as they will fit in the circumference, and then take one out. That will be the correct number of bearings. It would be a good idea to have a tray under the wheel while you do that, to catch any bearing that might fall.
I actually found the other bearing so they both now have 9 each ^_^^_^^_^

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
L

Lauris

Shimano hubs run with 9 bearings - you are missing three on that side. This will cause lots of problems not least of which the wheel won't turn properly.

Edit to add: that should read 9 bearings per side.
I found the other bearings so they have now 9 each. They seem move easily out of its place. Should add grease so they stay in place?

C R

Guru
I found the other bearings so they have now 9 each. They seem move easily out of its place. Should add grease so they stay in place?
You need grease for lubrication, it also helps to keep the bearing in place when you put the axle back in. Do you know how to ask the cones?

Top Bottom