Wheel not spinning freely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The hubs rotate (freely) on bearings. The bearings (balls) rotate between cups (part of the hub) and cones (screwed onto the axle). Grease is good: lots.
Have a read of Sheldon Brown's article to help you.
And Bike Gremlin.
The simple symptom described in the OP (and we might reasonably assume that the wheel has bearings/cones fitted 'properly') is that the cones are a tad tight which means that though they spin OK 'in the hand' when the QR is tightened properly, there's too much compression on the bearings and they bind (as @ColinJ has said).
On exposed axle threads, these should be the same length both sides. No excuses like "if I try to even it out the hub becomes loose" have any merit.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It seems the wheel spins more free now but listen to the sound.

Tomorrow I will add grease and not sure about the cones.

View: https://twitter.com/Laurisss333/status/1296902358887211010

That wheel is stopping very suddenly, which suggests the bearings are overtightened.

To get the preload correct, tighten the cones until they feel just right in the hand - i.e. spin freely with no side to side play.

Then, back off a quarter turn. The backing off creates miniscule side to side play which, when tightened in the bike frame will disappear.

Gunk

Guru
It is possible to service that hub with the cassette in situ, I use a magnet to carefully remove all the balls and clean them thoroughly in a pot with some WD40 or white spirit and dry them off.

Then clean the inside of the hub thoroughly removing all the old grease, apply some fresh grease and carefully fit each ball one by one using an electrical screwdriver dipped in grease, takes some time and patience but the reward is how smoothly the wheel spins when you’ve finished.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

It is possible to service that hub with the cassette in situ, I use a magnet to carefully remove all the balls and clean them thoroughly in a pot with some WD40 or white spirit and dry them off.

Then clean the inside of the hub thoroughly removing all the old grease, apply some fresh grease and carefully fit each ball one by one using an electrical screwdriver dipped in grease, takes some time and patience but the reward is how smoothly the wheel spins when you’ve finished.

Yeah, I don't have the tool to remove cassettes but I also do have a magnetic screwdriver. So that helped.

Top Bottom