Wheel recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

Hi all,

I'm after a new wheelset and would appreciate some recommendations...

Criteria: Need to be reasonably light (for racing as well as training), stiff and reasonably strong (although i'm only 10st 6) i'm just thinking of our British roads, so they will be taking some punishment. Clinchers only.

Looking to spend up to a max of about £500.

I was thinking Mavic Ksyrium Elites, but have since read they are not very stiff (can anyone comment?) compared to the likes of Eastons? I have therefore also been looking at Eastons.

The bike is a Felt AR2, so they will ideally suit the bike and complement the Dura Ace groupset.

Any help much appreciated.:smile:

brockers

Have you considerded Dura Ace wheels? They'd complement your Dura Ace groupset quite well.

Roadkill

I've ridden them all year and they're superb.

I had a budget of £800 but couldn't see past them. This was significantly due to my experience with the Ultegra wheelset that I'd used for the previous 2 years which were outstanding. They won my heart when I rode 100km of Roubaix pave fully expecting them to suffer terminally and they came out exactly as they went in...

I'm heavy at 90kg but I've ridden them hard including Flanders & Caledonia sportives and some horrendous post-winter roads around here. They are still absolutely true.

Rolling resistance is amazing and they look great. We've got them on the site here

Roadkill

Argh! That used to be a blanket deal, apologies.

I've put it right on that listing and dropped them a note so that we get it right in future.

I got mine from CRC for less than £500 so they do tend to fluctuate on price over time.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

I'm liking the Easton EA90 Aero... a touch over my budget at £512, but they seem a good all rounder.

VamP

Banned
I have the Elites, and really like them, but then I got them from Merlin on a deal at £380 and wasn't really comparing with other £500 wheels.

I am 13 st, and so far (300 miles) they are not showing any sign of weakness.

The trouble is, whatever wheelset people will endorse, it will be a significant improvement over what they had before, so they are bound to like it.

endoman

What difference would be most noticeable in upgrading wheels? Might be a treat for me if I can get down another couple of stones! I'm on a Focus Cayo if it helps.

amaferanga

Veteran
Derek @ Wheelsmith builds great wheels - very highly regarded wheel builder. I have an IRD Aero wheelset that was built by Derek that I have raced and trained (and commuted) on for over a year with zero problems. Plenty stiff enough for me (67kg) and still 100% true despite the best efforts of Sheffield's roads.

If you can up your budget a little you could probably get a set that weigh about 1500g (all the component weights are on the Wheelsmith website). One of the obvious advantages of the handbuilt route is that replacement rims are readily available (and fairly cheap at around £60) as are spokes.

If you want something more aero then the Shimano RS80 50mm clinchers (alloy rim with carbon fairings) can be had from Ribble for less than £600 at the moment.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Derek @ Wheelsmith builds great wheels - very highly regarded wheel builder. I have an IRD Aero wheelset that was built by Derek that I have raced and trained (and commuted) on for over a year with zero problems. Plenty stiff enough for me (67kg) and still 100% true despite the best efforts of Sheffield's roads.

If you can up your budget a little you could probably get a set that weigh about 1500g (all the component weights are on the Wheelsmith website). One of the obvious advantages of the handbuilt route is that replacement rims are readily available (and fairly cheap at around £60) as are spokes.

If you want something more aero then the Shimano RS80 50mm clinchers (alloy rim with carbon fairings) can be had from Ribble for less than £600 at the moment.

Cheers mate, any chance of a pic or two of your IRD set? Just looked at the site and its an interesting option. The onyl problem with those Shimano RS80s is the weight... I fancy something a tad lighter really. Still seem a good buy though.

endoman

Nice site, going to take me about a week to understand it though! I like the thought of a handbuilt wheel that can survive Sheffield!

Top Bottom