Wheel replacement after 700 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Jst had a call from lbs my back wheel is not good due to lack of grease in wheel bearings the race on one side is rusted and pitted.

Bike about 6 months old bit surprised as i dont commute on it but obviously get caught out in rain now and then .Allways carefull not to get water in wheel when cleaning.

is this unusual and how often should I be cleaning/greasing the bearings?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I would expect hub bearings to be packed with grease when delivered new. I would not expect the grease to vanish after 700 miles and 6 months.

Manufacturers do specify not to use pressured hose in case water is forced inside the bearing seals.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

RecordAceFromNew said:
I would expect hub bearings to be packed with grease when delivered new. I would not expect the grease to vanish after 700 miles and 6 months.

Manufacturers do specify not to use pressured hose in case water is forced inside the bearing seals.

Exactly my thoughts. I dont ever use a hose pipe or pressure washer on the bike .I dont use it for commuting so it hasnt done that much wet weather.

By comparison my Trek hybrid is out in all weathers as its my commuter and still running sweet after 3000 miles.

Doesnt sound as if it can be done on warranty as bearings are a maintenance/wear and tear type item.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Bike is Scott Speedster bought new from lbs. Only use car shampoo and water and take care around bearings.Not just bearings needeed .The wheel is shot as the race is pitted :-(

Davidc

Guru
I wouldn't expect what you've had there.

I use car shampoo and WD40 as cleaners and have never had the shampoo attack bearings.

I do most of my own maintenance on my tourers, now a Dawes horizon, and I did its 500 mile service at 750 miles last weekend. (I bought it nearly new last year). Among checks I inspected the wheel bearings. The front has only been used for 500 miles and is now a spare, the back has done 750. Both are still grease packed with no signs of any problems. THAT is how any bike should be after 700 miles.

I might be starting a thread about wear and play in sealed cartridge bottom brackets though!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Banjo said:
Jst had a call from lbs my back wheel is not good due to lack of grease in wheel bearings the race on one side is rusted and pitted.

Whether it is a BSO is irrelevant legally; in any case this bike is from a major reputable manufacturer. I would turn up with a voice recorder in my pocket and ask them to confirm the highlights above. Once you have that confirmation, I don't see how they can have a legal leg to stand on but to replace the wheel under warranty.

Paco

I agree with the above. Your LBS should be looking after you as a local customer. You are their word-of-mouth advertising, for good or ill.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

decided not to take this lying down.Will give them one last opportunity to sort this out amicably.Watch this space.:-(

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's bonkers. My front wheel is probably 30 years old and has done countless squillions of miles in all weathers. I clean out the hub every year or so. That's it. 6 months? 700 miles? No way.

Manonabike

Über Member
My guess is your LBS is trying to do you for a new wheel!!!!

A few years ago I left my bike with my LBS for a new brake disk... later on that day a mechanic called me to say I needed a new stem :biggrin: I was just a couple of minutes from the shop so I decided to pay them a visit right away. They were not expecting me and they got all nervous when I demanded to see the problem with the stem. Anyway, the stem had a screw to adjust the angle of the bar and they were telling me the stem was broken and needed replacing lol..... I asked for a hex key and fixed it in front of them. I then asked the mechanic a few questions just to let him know that I knew exactly what game he was playing :smile:. They were quite embarrassed... they didn't want to charge me for changing the disk but I insisted in paying.

I've been very unlucky with a couple of LBS, so now I do my own maintenance. I'm sure there are very good and honest LBS out there.

Top Bottom