Wheel sizing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I'm a little confused with regards to tyre sizing. Two bikes by Trek the XO and the Pilot 2.1 have Bontrager SSR wheels. The XO runs 700x35s and the 2.1 runs 700x25s. My original understanding was that tyre size was controlled by the wheel size but the above example contradicts this. Could a kind sole explain this for me, please?

Thanks

Abs

They're both 700mm rims but the 35mm is wider than the 25mm, nothing much to it really.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Ok, so a quick (possibly inaccurate) measure of my hybrids wheels shows the rims to be 19mm and going by Sheldon's charts that suggests I could "safely" put on a 700x28 tyre?

potsy

Rambler
HaloJ said:
Ok, so a quick (possibly inaccurate) measure of my hybrids wheels shows the rims to be 19mm and going by Sheldon's charts that suggests I could "safely" put on a 700x28 tyre?
That's what I have and they are fine with 28's on there,wouldn't go any thinner though.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Cool! :biggrin: Thanks all! That's shattered my illusion that the wheel/rim forced a fixed tyre width. Like what I now know, though. :wacko:

*ticks box "learn something new every day"*

jimboalee

Don't take a lot of notice of the '700' sizing. Is it a 622?

The inside measurement of the rim ( 19mm ? ) will safely take a 20mm tyre, a 20 - 622.

I've got MA2 rims 21mm inside and have 23 - 622 tyres. No probs.
I've got Bonty Race-X-lite with 22 - 622 tyres. Similarly, no probs.
I'm running 23 - 622 tyres on Alesa 21mm inside rims. NO PROBS.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Jimboalee...I'm with you on this one. I wish everyone would use the standard ISO tyres sizes. It really prevents confusion when you get into those different 26" sizes.

It's even hard to get some LBSs to understand and use the ISO numbers.

Top Bottom