Wheel spins backwards when pedaling (excuse my English)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siddhant Joshi

Hey everyone, does anyone know why my bicycle wheel spins backwards when I spin the pedal backwards, this should not happen and is very uncommon, because of this I cannot stop pedaling, the pedal sort of locks on and continues to spin as the wheel spins. I own a 1-month-old MTB which is decent and performs quite well. If anyone knows, please let me know. Dealing with this is very annoying....

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think we need to know what kind of bike you are riding. Just in case it's a fixie...... :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
If i understand your problem, check the rear wheel spoke protector (a plastic disc between the cassette and spokes) and make sure it is secure . What can happen is it comes loose and wedges between the gears and spokes and the motion of the wheel is transmitted through the transmission.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:

When you're riding along, what actually happens when you just stop pedalling?
What happens when you pedal backwards, while riding along? A massive skid and crash?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If the bike has a freewheel, or even a freehub, it could be a case of squirting some lube into it. Then give it a really good clean between the sprockets, and clean and lube the chain at the same time.

OP
OP
S

Siddhant Joshi

:welcome:

When you're riding along, what actually happens when you just stop pedalling?
What happens when you pedal backwards, while riding along? A massive skid and crash?

Hi, what happens is when I try to stop pedaling, the pedal just doesn't stop and instead moves along with the back wheel and as we know, when we pedal backwards, only the chain moves back and not along with the wheel but in my case, the wheel too abnormally moves back with a pedal back spin. If I try too hard, I hear sort of a crackling sound. Is it a issue with bearings?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the shop. Sounds like a faulty freewheel/freehub

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Do the gears work when riding normally? If they do then the only logical explanation is:

- the freehub freewheel mechnism has seized (did the bike back wheel get very wet/underwater at some point)?
- the pawls in the (old-style) freewheel mechnism have seized

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi, what happens is when I try to stop pedaling, the pedal just doesn't stop and instead moves along with the back wheel and as we know, when we pedal backwards, only the chain moves back and not along with the wheel but in my case, the wheel too abnormally moves back with a pedal back spin. If I try too hard, I hear sort of a crackling sound. Is it a issue with bearings?

I had a very similar problem, stop pedalling and the pedals/ cranks try to continue going round.
If I back pedalled, the chain would droop and go slack.
The plastic spoke protector had come loose (as explained above ) and wedged itself between the sprockets and the spokes.
If your bike has that plastic disc, check it carefully, make sure it is connected to the spokes themselves (by three plastic tabs in my case) if its touching the sprockets, you will get the
problem you are experiencing.

It may not be what I describe...but I have had almost exactly this problem and this was the solution for me

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I had a very similar problem, stop pedalling and the pedals/ cranks try to continue going round.
If I back pedalled, the chain would droop and go slack.
The plastic spoke protector had come loose (as explained above ) and wedged itself between the sprockets and the spokes.
If your bike has that plastic disc, check it carefully, make sure it is connected to the spokes themselves (by three plastic tabs in my case) if its touching the sprockets, you will get the
problem you are experiencing.

It may not be what I describe...but I have had almost exactly this problem and this was the solution for me
I did not read/understand the previous 'dork disk' cause of the problem. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

If the disk got jammed between the cassette/freewheel and the spokes it would prevent the pawls/freehub freely rotating backwards and cause exactly the behaviour described.

Reactions: gbb

Ajax Bay

Guru
Discounting @gbb dork disc, which is a possible
. . . when I try to stop pedaling, the pedal just doesn't stop and instead moves along with the back wheel and . . . in my case when I try to stop pedaling, the wheel too abnormally moves back with a pedal back spin. If I try too hard, I hear sort of a crackling sound. Is it a issue with bearings?
If you're riding along, how can the wheel 'move back' when you pedal backwards?
How many gears?
I'm with @Big John - back to the shop.

gbb

Legendary Member
Discounting @gbb dork disc, which is a possible

If you're riding along, how can the wheel 'move back' when you pedal backwards?
How many gears?
I'm with @Big John - back to the shop.

I suspect OPs explaining it the best he can. That bit doesn't make sense. Tbf, if it's not what I suggest which should be remarkably easy to look at, I agree, back to the shop.

silva

Über Member
I think he ment turning the cranks by hand, with the bike hanging or inverted on the ground - tyre no contact

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom