Wheel storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
No 6 bikes I use a different bike each day and need a rest day.any more would confuse me

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I remove the skewers and hang mine on large hooks on the wall.the type of hooks for hanging tools
You've given me an idea :becool: A wheel hanger , a bit like one of those hangers for socks but for errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wheels .

young Ed

Veteran
except when you have six bikes and eight pairs of wheels
well no one on here would have that many would they! :rolleyes:
I would but I have run out of room to store them
no you haven't you just aren't looking hard enough! and you aren't getting creative enough, after all you can chuck the hoover out the cleaning cupboard and squeeze one in there, then empty the larder etc etc. i'm sure you must have a wee bit of wall space to screw a couple of hooks into?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well I nipped to the local shop and got some hooks then into the workshop .
I dug out a nice bit of Berma Teak that had been salvaged from an old boat

005_zpsd30986da.jpg

Gave it a bit of shape , lovely wood to work is teak .

006_zps424ce536.jpg

and got the wheels out of the way , with a few more holes just incase I add to the collection .

007_zpsd7d60e6b.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just as an aside.......something I have always wondered. If wheels and or bikes are not going to be used for a period of months is it better to leave tyres on and keep inflated when stored, or remove tyres and tubes and store separately?

arch684

Veteran
Just as an aside.......something I have always wondered. If wheels and or bikes are not going to be used for a period of months is it better to leave tyres on and keep inflated when stored, or remove tyres and tubes and store separately?
I leave them on but only because I can't be bothered to take them off

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
@Spoked Wheels may have the answer to that or at least an educated guess .
All this talk of wheels have reminded me to get his bottle of Maillot Jaune he left for me out of the fridge . Its going down rather well :cheers:

Diggs

Veteran
This gives me an idea but only a temporary solution.
I could stack mine on a pot, starting with the 700c ones, then the 26 MTBs, then the kids ones 24, 20 16 12......pop a bit on tinsel on and a star on top. It'll be January before I need to "get that cycling junk out of the house"

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels may have the answer to that or at least an educated guess .
All this talk of wheels have reminded me to get his bottle of Maillot Jaune he left for me out of the fridge . Its going down rather well :cheers:
From personal experience it depends on the length of time and probably the conditions.

I left some wheels in the shed for a number of years and when I wanted to use them the tubes and tyres were usable.

young Ed

Veteran
I don't get it. Should wheels be suspended when stored? Does storing them standing on the ground cause a problem?:rolleyes:
yes, all the air sinks to the bottom of left standing upright so before use you need to give them a good shaking, in fact you should do this before every ride, helps spread the grease around as well

Nice!

I saw an article today that younger people are not getting interested in cars like the older generations did. They prefer walking or public transport to get to work, shopping, entertainment etc.
not me they on about then! I love old landies and wouldn't mind an old jag XJS or e type!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom