wheel trueing am I doing something wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi all,

Yes apologies its my rear wheel again.

Ive been doing some reading and ive had another go at trueing my rear disc wheel again.

I got it almost perfect less than 0.5mm but after coming back from a ride yesterday it had gone again !?. I was conscious of trying to maintain a high spoke tension when truing so had another go today which I got it spot on again. Took it out for another ride today and its about 1.5mm out now.

I'm not sure what else I can do, I'm not massively loosening and tightening spokes the tension is not massively off. the area around the blip the spokes are quite tight on each side of the wheel but its like the wheel has a memory or something ?.

Its a mavic open pro rim on a deore disc hub.

P.S. ive had enough of this s**t wheel, does anyone know where I can get another built.

Were there any pings from the wheel when you rode it today?

If the wheel is going out of true towards the cassette side it may be that the dish is not allowing sufficient tension on the non-drive side and some sort of nipple glue is needed.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
accountantpete said:
Were there any pings from the wheel when you rode it today?

If the wheel is going out of true towards the cassette side it may be that the dish is not allowing sufficient tension on the non-drive side and some sort of nipple glue is needed.

Hi accountantpete

Yes when I first got on there were some pings, incidentally it goes out of true on both sides within quite close proximity of each other

PpPete

Legendary Member
Those "pings"....
What's happening is that your spokes are physically twisting rather than the nipples turning on the spokes as you true it.
When you ride it they "unwind".

Absolutely the opposite of "nipple glue" is needed. The threads on the spokes/nipples need lubrication - then winding up the nipple won't twist the spoke so much.

And you need to stress-relieve the wheel after trueing. Put wheel down flat, axle on a block of wood. Lean on the rim with both hands, work round the rim, turn over & repeat. That'll get any "pinging" out of the way before you ride, but you might need a small amount of re-trueing after.

And check your tensions are even on each side at the end....pluck all the spokes one after the other.
On my Open Pros (on road hubs) I aim to get all drive side spokes to sound the A above middle C.

Agree with Pete - it is a case of the spokes twisting as the nipple is tightened and then untwisting themselves with a "ping" when pressure is applied.

Best bet is to loosen one spoke (in the area affected) at a time by 3 complete turns, apply a drop of oil to the thread and re-tighten 3 turns. Then true the wheel and do what Pete says and relieve the stress.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thank you to you both again you really are a wealth of knowledge on the subject, and have been really helpfull.

I thought they must be untwisting but was not sure why or how. I thought I had done something wrong in the truing process and perhaps the tensions were too high on bove NDS and DS.

As ive not done this before am I lubricating the nipple thread and the spoke end where it joins the nipple ?.

Thanks

e-rider

crappy member
Always oil the threads of the spokes before building - and grease the rim eyelet/spoke nipple contact area; esp. on the RH side.

A good little trick is always twist the spoke nipple slightly more than you want and then un-do it a tiny bit - with some practice this just becomes normal and a sort of one movement thing. So, for example, if you want to twist say 1/2 a turn, twist 3/4 first and then back 1/4 (I know you probably don't want to twist that much, it was just an example) This will prevent twisting spoke instead of the nipple.

What is more likely is that you want to twist 30 degrees so you first twist 40 degrees and then back 10 degress - get the idea! Works perfectly.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
tundragumski said:
Always oil the threads of the spokes before building - and grease the rim eyelet/spoke nipple contact area; esp. on the RH side.

A good little trick is always twist the spoke nipple slightly more than you want and then un-do it a tiny bit - with some practice this just becomes normal and a sort of one movement thing. So, for example, if you want to twist say 1/2 a turn, twist 3/4 first and then back 1/4 (I know you probably don't want to twist that much, it was just an example) This will prevent twisting spoke instead of the nipple.

What is more likely is that you want to twist 30 degrees so you first twist 40 degrees and then back 10 degress - get the idea! Works perfectly.

Thank you for that advice thats really helpful, I'm going to give that ago Ive squirted some lube at the nipple and spoke end and trued the wheel so tomorrow is the test. If it goes again tomorrow I will be definitely trying this little tip.

Fingers crossed Ive sorted it this time, I'm getting sick of truing the wheel each night !!.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worth taking the tension out as you do it, you can either place the wheel on the floor, hub down, and press hard either side of the rim at a few points, then repeat the other side (but be careful), or......I usually thump each side of the rim a few times - give it a whack..... that works, then carry on.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Just a quick update thanks for the replies !.

Done my 7 mile commute this morning and as soon as I entered the underground car park out of the rain I flipped the bike up side down and took a look, and to my utter joy it looks like today after applying Lube last night it has done the job !?.

There is always the journey home but I think with all the tips posted above I have this sorted now, incidentally I did stress relieve as best I could but did hear the usual pings when I jumped on today is that normal or OK ?.

bad boy said:
incidentally I did stress relieve as best I could but did hear the usual pings when I jumped on today is that normal or OK ?.

You have to be a bit brutal with it - or as I do go for a test spin around the block which should do an equally good job.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
well journey home complete and its as true as it was last night which is 99% spot on, I'm a happy bunny as long as it stays this way !.

The tensions are as even as I can get them with out the wheel being out of true and doing the pluck test they are not all the same but not wildly out, time will no doubt tell but at least its saved me another £15 doing it myself !.

I'm hoping tomorrows journey does not prove me wrong fingers crossed.

Thanks

Top Bottom