Wheel Truing Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I'm not a mechanical engineer so this may be a dumb question, but is there any reason why I can't securely attach a dial test indicator to my turbo trainer and use this as a truing stand.

I would only want to make minor spoke adjustments and I can't justify spending £200 on a purpose made bit of kit like the park stand, a DTI with fittings is about £20. I could just take my wheels to the LBS but I'd like to check and adjust myself if possible.

On my bikes with v-brakes I could just use the brake pad as a rough guide, but one of my bikes has disc brakes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lb81

No problem at all. I just do it in a spare frame i have kicking about and gaffer tape straight items to it as a guide for side to side / up and down. All my wheels stay nice and true using it. I learnt to build wheels on a proper rig but would happily use this method. HTH.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

sidevalve

Über Member
Can't see any problem. I made mine from some angle with an adjustable holder for a grease pencil welded on. The only disadvantage to the brake method is it's easier to mark the rim then adjust after turning the wheel round rather than remember / mark by hand the spot [and of course the brake may be slightly off centre].

Top Bottom