Wheel Truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
Just after a bit of advice. I came off the commuter a couple of days back and mangled up the back wheel a fair bit, so thought Id have a crack at repairing it as Ive bought a replacement just incase.

The wheel runs true side to side, however, its gone a bit egg shaped. Its less than 1mm out and I cant feel it, but it's worrying me. Is it dangerous or is it just an annoyance?

Also I have two spokes on the non drive side which are far looser than the rest of them, is this an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Not dangerous but you may break some spokes out on the road.

Easy fix - use the brake pads as a guide.

You need a spoke key to match your nipples.

I'd then tighten up the two loose spokes to approx the same as the others. The non drive side spokes should have less tension that the drive side.

Then fix the egg shape - where the rim strays out bring it back in by tightening the spokes in that area and loosening the nipples where the rim strays inwards. So if the rim was say oval you would tighten top and bottom and loosen left and right.

When that is done you need to true it laterally - tighten to bring back towards the centre AND also loosen the opposing spokes next to it a tad to assist this.

Only adjust in small amounts - say a quarter turn.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Cheers I'll give it a go.

Only having a go in the knowledge I've now got a new wheel. Seemed a good chance to practice as it doesn't matter if I ruin it.

subaqua

What’s the point

will be giving it a go on my old wheels 1st. I didn't have time or energy at weekend so paid £30 and got front and rear trued at my LBS .

Top Bottom