Wheel upgrade £400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alexvs

Hi,

Firstly I know this is yet another "which wheelset thread" and I've read the others and posted in one but as my requirements are probably different to the OP of that thread I decided to delete that post and start a new thread. Currently I ride the stock DT Swiss Axxis 2.0 wheels (I believe they are) and over the last 17 months they've been good and are still rolling after hitting something through a submerged road crossing which dented the rear rim. I've continued riding on it as never had the money at the time to replace it but my LBS checked it for me and advised it's safe to ride.

So I want a set which will stand up to the regular wear and tear of our roads, be good for climbing (out of the saddle occasionally) and for distance rides. I'm doing London to Brighton and back in a couple of weeks with some friends (not the official one) and then the Dunwich Dynamo in July. I'm not a racer but my pace is always improving and most of my riding is done on a weekend around the villages of Beds, Bucks and Northants within about 40 miles of Milton Keynes. Oh and I'm ~70kg.

I've read up plenty about the Fulcrum 3's and Shimano RS80 C24's as they seem to get the most mention but read some threads around various forums saying one or the other flex while climbing out of the saddle. Is this something I need to worry about at my weight? Are there any others I should consider that will be within my budget and improve on what I've got? I'm hoping On One still have the RS80's at £330 tomorrow and they're not just in their bank holiday deal as I get paid tomorrow and want to hopefully order then. I can also get the Fulcrum 3's for £324 so it's like for like near enough. I've considered hand built but would like to get them before June 8th which is why I'm going for off the shelf.

Your help is appreciated and sorry for the long background :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check out a pair of Ultegra 6700's. There are some cracking bargains out there for them for of which are a cracking wheelset.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Thanks ianrauk they do seem really good value as you said coming out at about £235 so will have a read up about them.

The RS80's get really good comments and they say they use the same rims as the dura-ace just different hubs. If I had the money I'd have gone for the dura-ace as have 10% off at PBK so would've got a good deal however probably for my use the RS80's would be sufficient.

Thanks guys and any more recommendations from others are welcome as will be looking to buy them tomorrow or Wednesday.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks ianrauk they do seem really good value as you said coming out at about £235 so will have a read up about them.

They are very light, fast and hard wearing.
I have a pair on one of my bikes.
Would buy another pair again no question.

montage

God Almighty
I race on RS80s just fine.
Avoid Pro-lites

RS80s have a lighter rim than the fulcrums, so allegedly climb a tad better, but i doubt there is much in it

zizou

Veteran
My usual recommendation for this sort of price range - get some handbuilts!

A good wheelbuilder will be able to talk with about what you want / need and make you something suitable and just as light and as strong for the same price (actually probably cheaper) plus you will be able to service and repair them much easier should you need to.

OP
OP
A

Alexvs

Now I'm slightly more confused as I've been doing more reading up and the RS80's keep having their praises sung, so my question is, does the carbon laminate benefit the wheels enough to warrant the extra ££'s? Over on BR there's also speak about a set called Swiss Side Francs which sound pretty interesting, has anyone heard of them as there's little to no reviews? One guy owns both Francs and RS80's so I've asked his opinion as not sure if ceramic bearings are good or would be easier to service etc. He mentioned to the OP of that thread that both are strong and the few hundred miles added to them have gone well.

Top Bottom