Wheel upgrade for Giant Contend SL1 disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Alloy or carbon? What depth? Considering second-hand? Want them aero? Light? For what sort of riding - smooth roads, or pot holes, or cobbles?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I'm assuming you're on PR-2s? Everything will be better than that.

There's a wide selection of ~1500g, 30-35mm deep, alloy wheels for your budget. Primes are super cheap but not sure it would be a noticeable upgrade - I'd recommend forgetting about those. Scribe is a good idea, but you may struggle with availability. Hunt wheels are OK too - at least the alloy ones, but on the pricier side and they're not better than others. Maybe have a look at DCR Wheels? They're not as popular so should have stock, good quality and decent pricing.

Alternatively, find a local wheel builder and have him quote you for something of that weight, depth, with sapim spokes and bitex hubs - should be within budget.

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm assuming you're on PR-2s? Everything will be better than that.

There's a wide selection of ~1500g, 30-35mm deep, alloy wheels for your budget. Primes are super cheap but not sure it would be a noticeable upgrade - I'd recommend forgetting about those. Scribe is a good idea, but you may struggle with availability. Hunt wheels are OK too - at least the alloy ones, but on the pricier side and they're not better than others. Maybe have a look at DCR Wheels? They're not as popular so should have stock, good quality and decent pricing.

Alternatively, find a local wheel builder and have him quote you for something of that weight, depth, with sapim spokes and bitex hubs - should be within budget.

Good shout about local wheel builders.

Although beware of the lightest bitex / novatec hubs as they have the smallest sealed bearings.

I'd use miche or Shimano hubs for better reliability.

A few years back I had an alu defy (contend equivalent) - I swapped out the wheels for budget campag khasmin it made quite a difference.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Noisy hubs isn’t really a concern. A lot of the wheel reviews talk about noisy hubs in many of the different brands.

Top Bottom