wheel upgrade help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
h0lly1991

h0lly1991

I'm not going into the campag vs shimano discussion.... I've now looked into hand built set and seeing I'm fairly lightweight looks like a considerable improvement inreducing rolling resistance....And I've just ordered a set of gp4000 and conti tubes.....
Watch this space on the hand builds
;-)... Many thanks to you all for helping this newbie...
Safe riding....

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm not going into the campag vs shimano discussion.... I've now looked into hand built set and seeing I'm fairly lightweight looks like a considerable improvement inreducing rolling resistance....And I've just ordered a set of gp4000 and conti tubes.....
Safe riding....
The Campag vs Shimano thing doesn't apply as Campag make their wheels with a freehub for either brand groupset. My Campag Zonda's are in Shimano freehub guise and fitted to my Bianchi running Ultegra as it happens.

You can't go wrong with the GP4000S though. Looking forward to your posts on the hand built wheels too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Safe riding....

+1 for DCR Wheels. He's made 3 pairs for me now. All around the £300 mark. Do a heck of a lot of miles and none of them have ever broken a spoke or had to have had trued.

bpsmith

Veteran
Mixing Shimano and Campagnolo? Shimano on a Bianchi? You just some crazy maverick bucking the system and living by his own rules.
The irony of the Campag wheels running Shimano, when I got them for my first bike, just had to follow through to the Bianchi purchase running Ultegra. :smile:

Had a few comments already, but suits me perfectly.

Good enough for these guys too:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 49

Irishrich

Über Member

I'm just about to buy new wheels to replace the stock ones on my Cube Agree GTC road bike and am torn between most of the ones in your list above. My budget is up to £400 and the wheels will be used mainly for club rides although I tend to be in the fastest group so they need to be good for climbing and on the flat. I'm leaning towards the Pro Lite Bracciano as they were £405 before Christmas and down to £279 now. Any other recommendations or advice before I bite the bullet and buy the pro lites?

Cyclist33

Nowt wrong with new wheels for the sake of it but how old are the f3s? I've had my f5s for 3 years and no way are they worn out!

My recommendations are strada velocity a23 rims built to your budget and if you're light, I would say 24 or 28 spoke per wheel, or for factory wheels, campanile neutron ultra which you can get from wiggle for 450!

Cyclist33

I'm just about to buy new wheels to replace the stock ones on my Cube Agree GTC road bike and am torn between most of the ones in your list above. My budget is up to £400 and the wheels will be used mainly for club rides although I tend to be in the fastest group so they need to be good for climbing and on the flat. I'm leaning towards the Pro Lite Bracciano as they were £405 before Christmas and down to £279 now. Any other recommendations or advice before I bite the bullet and buy the pro lites?

Never heard anyone gripe about the braccianos altho I have had the chance to get those before and they just didn't float my boat. If you want, get!!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Bought the Bracciano A42s from Wiggle. Looking forward to trying them out on the race bike in the better weather. :smile:
I know I am too late to the party with this suggestion, however, for anyone interested in a good price wheel upgrade, I have been looking at the Club Roost FCR 50's from www.buyabike.co.uk they are 50mm Full Carbon Clinchers & down to £499 with a wheel bag in the deal.
For those who want an aluminium brake track they do 50mm alu/carbon clinchers too, these are from £369 to £399 I believe.

Top Bottom