Wheelie bins! How many do you have?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Arch said:
Garden Waste is a mystery to me. If you have a garden big enough to generate waste, you have room for a compost bin, surely?
For people like me garden waste is not that useable, it's mostly grass with a few weeds & a sprinkling of prunings. As such there simply isn't enough of the right stuff to make compost that's any good so the green bin a godsend & in theory means my garden waste is actually composted down into something useful.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Two bins, a box and a bag here.

It doesn't take us any time to sort waste; we have a little plastic chest of drawers by the bin in the kitchen; there's a drawer for cans, one for glass, one for paper, one for tetra packs and so on. We just put the item in the right drawer: sorted.

In rural York-ish, Ryedale Council don't collect recycling except garden waste, paper, glass and cans. Most of our rubbish is plastic: milk bottles and food packaging. We keep that to a minimum, unwrapping stuff in the shop and so on, but there's always some.

As we have a wood-burning stove, we simply burn it. Open all the vents and burn it good and hot and it's gone in minutes, heats the house or the hot water, produces almost no ash and no smell.

We also compost almost all our garden waste, or burn it. Food? We never throw food away. If we aren't going to eat it, we don't cook it. Or we freeze leftovers and eat them later. In the last resort, the dog eats it. For a while, we had chickens, and they'll eat anything.

As a result, it's quite rare that we ever actually use our wheelie bins. When we put an almost-empty one out, often the bin men just assume it IS empty and don't tip it out. Or our neighbours fill it for us!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
By the way, our compost is almost all grass clippings, with a few tea leaves, banana skins and so on. It takes a while (about a year), but it still produces good compost eventually.

Woody prunings are about the only thing we don't compost: the wood never seems to rot down, and they're usually too twiggy and bulky to use as firewood or kindling.

Arch said:
Garden Waste is a mystery to me. If you have a garden big enough to generate waste, you have room for a compost bin, surely?

Maybe if you like gardening, but for those of us who aspire to just having a lawn for the kids to play on and have no intention of growing flowers or veg, we need somewhere to dump the clippings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
Yep. We don't have a garden waste bin, but if we did, it wouldn't get used. All our organic waste gets composted.
We have some bags, which take light cardboard, plastic bottles and tin cans, but we have no doorstep glass collection. Which is odd. We take bottles to the tip ourselves. Oh, and we're not allowed to squash our cans either. Although I'm thinking of saving them in my scrap box and weighing them in with all the other metal.

I think it's the same for my Mum. No idea why - perhaps it's down to whether there's an automatic sorting machine or not (can a machine separate clear from coloured glass?)

Brains

Legendary Member
3 in total
Black for non recyclable
Blue for Paper, Cardboard, Glass, Metals and Plastics
Green for all biodegradables including garden and kitchen waste

All get collected once a week on the same day

The Green bin contents go in some sort of mulcher and the fuel produced run the bin van

ChrisKH

Guru
Touche said:
Maybe if you like gardening, but for those of us who aspire to just having a lawn for the kids to play on and have no intention of growing flowers or veg, we need somewhere to dump the clippings.

I think part of the point of composting is that composted grass clippings reduce down to next to nothing. I have three years worth which I will spread on the beds eventually but it doesn't take up much room.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
I think part of the point of composting is that composted grass clippings reduce down to next to nothing. I have three years worth which I will spread on the beds eventually but it doesn't take up much room.

Also, if you continually remove the clippings from the equation, than the lawn needs feeding artificially eventually. Compost them and spread them back on, and you complete the cycle...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
The easiest thing is to use a mulching mower that just chops them up into really fine bits and deposits it back on the lawn.

Or get a sheep. Or guinea pigs. They deposit conveniently pelleted nutrients as they go...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:

We compost a lot of our garden waste but as said above its the woody stuff which would have to be shredded (we have one but it used up too much of our time shredding it all), as we now have mature shrubs and trees that need to be kept under control. We have a willow that only grew to 12 ft in my mum's garden which has grown to maybe 30 ft in ours which we continually have to remove bits from as its near to other people's phone lines. It is also a good place to get rid of weeds to - as our compost heap doesn't reach the same temperatures as the commercial scale ones. In late winter/early spring I can fill a green wheelie bin every week with the pruning.

Arch said:
Oh, and as a 'professional', I reckon the variety of replies here shows why we are so crap at recycling and waste in this country - un joined up policy. Even within York, there are differences in what gets collected and how often, although we're moving towards a single policy now.

Bristol seems to be the same across the city apart from new initiatives - such as the kerbside collection of plastic... luckily I was living in an area that was the first to get it (which surprised me).

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:
i trust that all these bins and bags for recycling are themselves made from recycled products?

The bags we'll be using for the new city centre rounds will be. Not sure about our boxes - they could well be, and we'll be reusing as many of them as we can when we drop some areas and pick up new ones.

Many people reuse carrier bags for the recycling, which is good too, and we encourage that by leaving bags if they are still usable - some of course get ripped (especially those that have been knotted! Grrrr!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Christ...they can't even get colours to match between councils....

Green - Garden stuff
Blue - Paper/cardboard
Brown - glass plastic

Black - coming for general waste - currently bin bags. Neighbours were looking forlorn today, the wheels had fallen off their glass/plastic bin......

Top Bottom