Wheeling bike in box or bag at airport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You know the problem. Bike all packed up in bag or box (already owned) for the airplane but it is the devil to carry like that from the car or train or whatever to check in and at the other end too. Just so big and bulky.

So :idea:.

Can I attach some compact wheels to the outside to take the strain? Need to be something that can be packed away at the check in desk as don't want them to go missing in transit (if they are retro fitted which is what I'm thinking I need). I've Googled but can only find separate luggage wheels (spares to go on broken luggage) which I'd need to engineer into some sort of shape for my application. I'd do that if necessary but if anyone knows of anything that would work that would save me some effort that would be great. TIA. :thumbsup:

lazyfatgit

half of an old roller scate and a webbing tye down to strap it on? shove it in your hand luggage when you get the box to outsize baggage.
Consider buyong a bike box with wheels?

Brains

Legendary Member
Depending on the design of your cardboard box, you could leave half an inch of wheel protruding from the bottom.
(Why buy wheels for something already fitted with wheels!)

Otherwise i think you will find most modern airports provide luggage trolleys these days :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
I once used a bike bag with wheels. It wasn't easy wheeling it through Euston Station in rush hour. It toppled from side to side as I walked. I was sorry that I cut up a lighter bag to try to insert the wheels from a cheap suitcase.

Next time I will revert to carrying it. I will work on ways to make it easier to carry.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Any stairs involved in any of this?
I do hope not :smile:

I have the older version of this https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...mplete-bike-wheel-bags-crc-logo/rp-prod106851 bag, it has wheels but as it's fabric it's quite unwieldy I found the easiest way was to put the shoulder strap on & carry it, pulling along my suitcase. Done several trips down to King's Cross then over to Gatwick with it.
Got something similar but no wheels on it. Mrs 26 has a (cardboard box again no wheels). I have tried carrying them and found them too much to handle and too heavy on a shoulder strap and so has Mrs 26.

What about a compact luggage trolley, something like this one? Put it inside the bike bag when you get to check-in.
Yes I found that and similar thanks. Not sure how small it folds to (I could ask) but Mrs 26's box will be sealed for the journey. Might go in hand luggage maybe but that'll be the saddle bag. I suppose I could share my bike bag :laugh:
Depending on the design of your cardboard box, you could leave half an inch of wheel protruding from the bottom.
(Why buy wheels for something already fitted with wheels!)

Otherwise i think you will find most modern airports provide luggage trolleys these days :smile:
Yes bl**dy pain having to bag/box up something that can be wheeled anyway:wacko:. Airport luggage trolleys are not always available from where we start unfortunately (like walking to the station from home - 0.5 miles) although hugely useful when we can acquire one :thumbsup:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I went to Italy last year and had the same problem. I bought 2 swivel wheels from the DIY shop. I cut 2 pieces of ply sheet. One went inside the bike box at the end and one on the outsde. I drilled holes for the wheels and bolted them through. Next time I will use wheels at both ends. It was cheap and easy and it worked a treat.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I went to Italy last year and had the same problem. I bought 2 swivel wheels from the DIY shop. I cut 2 pieces of ply sheet. One went inside the bike box at the end and one on the outsde. I drilled holes for the wheels and bolted them through. Next time I will use wheels at both ends. It was cheap and easy and it worked a treat.
That sounds like the correct answer. :thumbsup:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is a skateboard a possibility, not speaking from experience.

Don't think the bike will fit in.

avel-skateboard-luggage-suitcase-with-scooter-school-bag-with-scooter-multifunctional-box-21inch.jpg

Top Bottom