Wheels, aero or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
im just building my new steed. A bowman pilgrims disc.

ive gone for an ultegra disc groupset.

i intend to use it all year round for training rides and long distance audax possibly some light bike packing.

im just trying to decide between 3 wheelsets

all Hunt, aero light, aero wide or the 50mm carbons Which cost quite a bit more but could well be worth it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Aero look better, but can be "interesting" in crosswinds...

Stompier

aero light, aero wide or the 50mm carbons

How deep are the 'aero' wheels, if not 50mm? Go with whichever you like the most - neither is likely to make a huge amount of difference to the ride or your speed, except in the aforementioned crosswinds - which might or might not be an issue.

davidphilips

Veteran
Should be a great alloy bike when built, only my opinion but unless you are racing dont think you would notice any difference between the wheelsets when cycling on the bike (apart from when theres side winds) so i would say just buy which ever you think looks best or the set that you can buy at the best price (perhaps in a January sale).

Aero 50s work brilliantly, right up until you get a strong crosswind. As long as you’re aware, then that’s the option I’d go with, for the aesthetics alone.

I have Mavic Kysrium Pro Exalith's (shallow) and Zipp 303's (2019 version, 45mm) and swop between them. The Zipp's are, without question, faster on the flats and sprinting for me. I know because my Strava KOM times improved - marginally, but improved nonetheless. For racing, I therefore prefer them knowing that they will make a difference. But as others have mentioned, not a big enough difference to be noticeable for everyday fitness or fun riding.

My Mavics are more ideally suited to climbs of 10% or more where they 'feel' quicker to me purely because I know they are slightly lighter - doubt they are in practice. So if I'm heading off into the hills, I put those on. Otherwise, they get used if the weather isn't great - i.e. rain or very windy. That said, Zipp's do handle wind rather well and earn their rep for being good 'all rounders'.

Can't comment upon the Hunt wheels, not tried them although reviews appear good. Different wheels can have similar depths but handle very differently.

Top Bottom