Wheels for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londoncycle46

Hello all! I have a Specialized Allez e5 road bike and I would like to be able to buy new wheels/tyres that will let me go “off road” on slightly rougher dirt/ gravel tracks (Nothing crazy like up mountains or on tracks with big holes). I am very new to cycling and would be so grateful if someone might point in the right direction for wheels/tyres that might work?

Current tyres:
Espoir sport 60 tpi 700x25mm tyres
Fork: 1-1/8” to 1-3/8” taper, fender eyelets.

si_c

Guru
You're going to be limited by the frame in terms of tyre size... How much clearance between the brakes or frame and the tyre front and rear.

Lots of road bikes struggle to go much higher than 28mm.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
A quick search showed the maximum width for the E5 is 28mm. You're not going to get a huge range of tyres, but id suggest you try 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard (not Plus) which have a good reputation as a "touring" tyre, with a bit of tread and decent puncture protection without being excessively heavy. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p3001/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Greenguard-HS420
No need to change your wheels

OP
OP
L

Londoncycle46

A quick search showed the maximum width for the E5 is 28mm. You're not going to get a huge range of tyres, but id suggest you try 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard (not Plus) which have a good reputation as a "touring" tyre, with a bit of tread and decent puncture protection without being excessively heavy. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m14b0s142p3001/SCHWALBE-Marathon-Greenguard-HS420
No need to change your wheels
This is so helpful, you are a lifesaver, thank you so much!!!

OP
OP
L

Londoncycle46

You're going to be limited by the frame in terms of tyre size... How much clearance between the brakes or frame and the tyre front and rear.

Lots of road bikes struggle to go much higher than 28mm.
Thanks so much - really appreciate it! I was in the middle of sorting out how to measure the clearance and saw the comment below! Have a great day!!!!

Top Bottom