Wheels not quite central - problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've noticed this since I've had my bike (and the same model stolen before it) bit it's not really concerned me, until I recently put some new thinner tyres on it.

The wheels aren't quite central. Looking down on it, the spokes on one side stick out further than the other side.

No one when having it given a once-over has commented on this so I'm guessing it is perhaps not a problem, but I do feel that perhaps I'm leaning a little to one side to compensate.

Any thoughts?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Front or back or both? On a derailleur-geared bike, back wheels are usually "dished": i.e. the spokes "stick out" less on the drive side so that there's space for the sprockets and the wheel stays centered in the forks.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Both. Front is where I noticed it (what with looking down at it regularly), and it's definitely NOT centered between the forks.

I have disc brakes if this makes a difference?

buddha

Veteran
Jezston said:
Both. Front is where I noticed it (what with looking down at it regularly), and it's definitely NOT centered between the forks.

You've answered your question (kind of). Like a cassette, the disc rotor takes up a bit of space, though on the left hand side of a hub. So all the spokes on the left have to be moved in a bit.

edit: if the rim is not centred between the forks you've got problems.

Jezston said:

Either it has been built wrongly( doubtful) or the locknuts/cones are not centred. Check the hubs to see if they are central first.

whoops didn't see the disc brake add on!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Took it into LBS on the way home - appears I hadn't quite attached the wheel properly when I changed the tyres. Oops! Fixed now.

Top Bottom