Wheels on my Vitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petmcgratt

petmcgratt, You say the spesh is no comparison but fail to explain yourself? I agree the Spesh is a better ride but not a night and day difference - is it that the spesh is a better fit for you as that makes a big difference on how the bike rides and performs? (there are complaints about those Alex rimmed wheels on forums too) I've also ridden other bikes that are much better - eg Boardman Team Carbon - fabulous and so smooth yet puts the power down really well (and they have wheel issues too with spokes coming loose :smile: )[/QUOTE]

Kev, sorry for failing to explain myself. I never thought of the geometry side of things but since you mention it, it definitely is more comfortable ride and better fit. Interms of the spec it beats the vitus alios triple in most things and I am not trying to knock the triple in anyway but what would have been the point in me paying more money for something that is a lower spec than the bike I have already got.

To start the specialized has an external bottom bracket, it also has a fully integrated headset so you don't have the visible headset seen on the vitus. In terms of the wheels, you are right in that the alex s500 rims get mixed reviews but I have noticed that they have an extremely quiet freehub which is even quieter than my upgraded campag khamsin freehub. The spesh has carbon composite forks unlike the vitus unless you buy the upgraded vitus alios triple. In terms of the groupset it is all shimano sora with a tiagra rear derailleur unlike the vitus which has a mixed bag of campag parts. The campag brakes levers are plastic and have come wobbly whereas the sora brake levers are a light but much more sturdier alloy. My own campag rare derailluer is a campag champ which again is mostly plastic and has already signs of wear. If you look closely at the front triple chain ring set on the vitus the spacing bewteen the large and middle and middle and small rings is quite large compared to sora triple chain ring or any good quality racing chain ring. I ended up having to change my front chain ring to a raceface to make the transition alot smoother as I was afraid I was going to break my gear lever trying to get the chain up onto the large ring. I will stop there but I think in my own honest opinion the spec of the vitus alios (which I will still use and am not complaining about in anyway but just that you wanted me to explain myself) is not just as good as the specialized allez sport. For the extra few hundred quid you are definitely getting a better bike.

Peter

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Billy, if you plan on buying the Planet X Model Bs then consider the Pro-Lite Luciano http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Pro-Lite-Pair-Wheels-Luciano-Clincher/PROLWHFR260 or better still for a tenner more the Trevisio http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Pro-Lite-Pair-Wheels-Treviso-Clincher/PROLWHFR270 as they use the same rims as Planet X, are still very light but I've not heard of any issues with the freehub and they look better too as they are not so plain (yes I am a bit of a tart!)

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

kfinlay said:
Billy, if you plan on buying the Planet X Model Bs then consider the Pro-Lite Luciano http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Pro-Lite-Pair-Wheels-Luciano-Clincher/PROLWHFR260 or better still for a tenner more the Trevisio http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Pro-Lite-Pair-Wheels-Treviso-Clincher/PROLWHFR270 as they use the same rims as Planet X, are still very light but I've not heard of any issues with the freehub and they look better too as they are not so plain (yes I am a bit of a tart!)

I'll tell you what, they've got a good write up on there Description. Probably the best write up i've seen and I think the chances are that I will go for one of those two. Thanks for that. Appreciated.

Billy

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Pete, it seems that you like the better finish of the Spesh, like the BB and headset - they don't really make any difference to an everday rider but are better for the long term. The Campag stuff can be off putting thinking it's just plastic but it is a bit more than that and is strong and reliable - no wear on mine in over 1200km use throughout the winter with suitable maintenance - it again is quite subjective as some like Campag some prefer Shimano others SRAM - it's the same for your feelings on the chainset freewheel noise - better not really, different certainly.
So it comes down to you liking the Spesh better and thats all good as you pays your money and makes your choice but to come on here as say that the spesh is so much better and you'll never swing your leg over the Alios again is somewhat OTT
Suppose I'm put off the Spesh as when I'm out on club runs, others who have them can be easily identified as their gears click and clunk away when changing and mines just goes chu-chink onto the next sprocket. Don't know why they do that as they should work fine when setup correctly but everytime I'm out and hear gears clunky and clicking away I find the guy riding an Allez. They are generally considered one of the best budget bikes to buy so hope you continue to enjoy yours.

petmcgratt

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Kev. I guess you just aren't keen on the specialized and your comments appear to show this. You might also be better getting a pair of ear plugs on your club runs if the clunk click from the specialized allez is that noisy. But as I say we are entitled to our opinions!!

Good luck
peter

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
petmcgratt said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Kev.

We can certainly agree on that but I don't have anything against an Allez (if I had the money I would have bought one and my dream bike is a Spesh Tarmac SL3) just wish those guys would get their bloomin gears adjusted correctly as surely they can't do that?

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
How good is that! The boss even posts replies on youtube. Will be serious contenders when I need new wheels - I wouldn't spend too much on the Vitus but Trevisios look perfect.
cheers Billy. How you getting on with the creaking and/or ticking? Get that loose front wheel looked at asap - the cones will need adjusted but best to check if any other damage to races/bearings - quite easy if you know one end of a spanner from the other.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

kfinlay said:
How good is that! The boss even posts replies on youtube. Will be serious contenders when I need new wheels - I wouldn't spend too much on the Vitus but Trevisios look perfect..

I thought that was top drawer stuff, i'll be heading down the route of Pro-Lite for new wheels if that's what I decide on 100%.

kfinlay said:
How you getting on with the creaking and/or ticking? Get that loose front wheel looked at asap - the cones will need adjusted but best to check if any other damage to races/bearings - quite easy if you know one end of a spanner from the other.

I've checked the bearings etc on the front wheel and trued up the rear wheel as that was the only issue with that. The bearings in the front were double up, so instead of a circle of 10 bearings it was a half circle with them doubled up on top of each other.

I've gave it all a clean and got the grease off it, just waiting on new grease coming and i'll get back out on it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Billy

Top Bottom