Wheels on my Vitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B1LLY87

Evening,

I bought a Vitus Alios Triple last year, the 2008 version that was going for £300 on CRC. I've only really started riding from 1 January, I've had the wheels on it trued three times already and the last time was Monday last week. They already seem to be "wobbling" slightly which makes me think they are a bit sh*t and should I maybe upgrade?

I came across a thread where someone was advised they should start saving for handbuilts if they bought it as the wheels would only last them 2000 miles and I haven't even got that distance yet. Maybe around 500 would be my guess, i'm now going to be hitting around 90-100 miles minimum per week.

The thread is here https://www.cyclechat.net/.

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated.

Billy

https://www.cyclechat.net/

petmcgratt

Billy, Like yourself I bought the vitus alios triple last August and within 8-10 weeks I bought a new set of wheels (campagnolo Khamsin). I had to bring the bike back to the shop within a month because one of my back spokes kept coming loose each time I went out on it. They said it was just wear and tear and I would have to pay to get it fixed. I objected and said that after several weeks this should be covered under warranty. They fixed and trued it free of charge. My freehub also went on the back wheel and I thought it was better to invest in a decent set of entry level wheels. However, I have now bought a new bike and am offloading the bike to my brother. If you can, don't invest any money into the bike as you will probably end up getting a new one if your cycling takes off. Or make sure if you do buy a new set of wheels that you can switch them to your next bike. Unfortunately i went from the campagnolo groupset to the shimano so the khamsin wheels are not compatible unless I cahnge to a shimano freehub (at ~50 quid).

02GF74

Über Member
a quality pair of wheels van cost £300 or more .... yet you piad that much for a new bike, so no surprises that it goes pear shaped.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I got that bike too and have had no problems - it's better specc'd than the usual £500 Specialized Allez sport and with it's reduction was great value for a starting bike. I'll eventually by something else and use it as a winter/training bike. The wheels aren't that bad IMO as the rims are proven to be decent budget choice and the hubs are Joytech which make some much more expensive stuff. I'm 78kg and have plenty of rubbish roads I've ridden on, the wheels have been trued once by me and thats it. You guys have obviously had a few probs so I would say buy something like the Khasmins or Planet X model Bs - either way a good investment and use the bike - if you get a new bike then it will probably have a simliar quality wheel so you have a summer and winter bike. Even if you use the new wheels on a new bike then £50 for a new freehub is hardly going to be a deal breaker (and thats from someone who is always skint so has little chance of ever getting major new bike)
Lastly IMO no point listening to someone who seems to have no experience on the bike and just critises it based on the price you paid - it's RRP was £750 although not ever worth that, more like £550 if you compare it with similar bikes spec wise.

petmcgratt

Kfinlay, I have just upgraded to the specialized allez sport from the vitus alios triple and there is no comparison in my opinion. I had the same idea as yourself regarding keeping my vitus as a winter bike and using the specialized as my summer bike. I don't think i will be lifting my leg over the vitus again. I gave it to my brother to get him started but I can't believe the difference. I take it you are talking about the specialized allez entry level which is probably about the same spec as the vitus and not the sport.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

Thanks for the replies, minus 02GF74's worthless reply. If you're going to be a bit arsey about something then what is the point in replying?

Moving on from the wheels, it seems there is now another problem. I'm getting some squeaky creaky sort of noise coming from the bottom bracket area. I'm not sure if this is the bottom bracket, my frame about to snap or the crankset however.

raindog

er.....
I assume you have the latest model Alios? I've done about 10,000 ks on the older model from 4 years ago. I bought it because it was reduced drastically in price to make way for the newer models coming in. The wheels were basic Rigida and apart from tightening a few spokes after a 1000 ks and greasing and adjusting the bearings at 5000 ks they still run nice and true. The frame is very nicely made with neat ground down welds - have a look at the welding on other makes for the same price - often leaves alot to be desired. Vitus make high quality aly tubing which is used on other makes all over the world. My bike is still a joy to ride and has carried me up and down some healthy climbs including the Ventoux. None of this really helps you much, I know, but I would doubt very much that your frame is about to snap. But good luck anyway.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

The model is 2008, I love the bike. First Road Bike i've had and it's great, I think after some investigating this morning it is the bottom bracket which i'm not too bothered about replacing. I'll do that when I get paid.

Now all I have to do is figure out the size of the bottom bracket. lol

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Raindog, I'm the same as you and have enjoyed the bike since I got it. All I've done is change the saddle (a few times as I haven't got one to fit my bum yet), put on my own pedals, a slightly longer stem and new tyres (michelin dynamics were awful but kept them for turbo trainer use should I buy one) - all to get the fit right and what I could expect with most off the peg bikes - otherwise no problems. The Rigida rims are used on lower end Bianchis albeit with different hubs, makes me wonder what other people put their bikes thru and if they maintain them.

petmcgratt, You say the spesh is no comparison but fail to explain yourself? I agree the Spesh is a better ride but not a night and day difference - is it that the spesh is a better fit for you as that makes a big difference on how the bike rides and performs? (there are complaints about those Alex rimmed wheels on forums too) I've also ridden other bikes that are much better - eg Boardman Team Carbon - fabulous and so smooth yet puts the power down really well (and they have wheel issues too with spokes coming loose :laugh: )

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Billy do you use shoes/cleats as I got creaking too but it was my cleats being a touch loose. Could also check the chainset, pedals bottom bracket. DO you get it all the time or jsut when putting down some power? Chances of it being the frame are slim to zero unless you've maybe had a crash.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

kfinlay said:
Billy do you use shoes/cleats as I got creaking too but it was my cleats being a touch loose. Could also check the chainset, pedals bottom bracket. DO you get it all the time or jsut when putting down some power? Chances of it being the frame are slim to zero unless you've maybe had a crash.

Yeah mate, I use the pedals and cleats that came with the bike. I did have a look at the cleats when I got my shoes of this morning and they were still tight. The squeaking does only seem to come from the rights side and more so when I pedal that bit harder, although there has been a slight "ticking" noise coming from the bike for a week or so which I thought was either the BB or wheels.

Billy

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Could be worth checking the wheel bearings and BB bearings. Take the wheels off and hold them by the axle and spin quite slowly - you'll feel how smooth they are - they are not sealed bearings so may need cleaned out and re-greased - easy enough if a little fiddly. while the back wheel is off, lift the chain away from the chainset and slowly spin it, any roughness on the bearings should be felt thru the chainset arm (don't hold the pedal as roughness may be from their bearings), also wiggle the arm to and away from the frame to check for any play.
The pedals I would ditch and buy something better and I suspect that this could be the cause of the creaking noise. New pedals needn't cost much.
Lastly don't tighten the QR too much when reinstalling the wheels as it could damage the bearings - have a look at Sheldon Browns site under the wheels section on how to adjust the bearings/cones with extra advice on QR included.

HTH mate

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

Evening,

On the way home tonight there was no creaking noise, believe it or not. Very strange.

There was a constant ticking noise all the way home though, faster I went the faster it got so this is definitely the front wheel. There is also some play in it, moves from side to side a touch.

In other news, I was sort of knocked off the f*cking thing from some blonde tart. After going to the inside lane she decided to go into the outside one while I was going to pass her, obviously not looking where she was going. I had to slam the breaks on and because of how quickly it happened I couldn't get unclipped and fell.

Billy

brockers

Sorry, haven't had time to go through the entire thread, but if you have £100 burning a hole, you could do a lot worse than the Planet-X model Bs or Cs. They're light and bombroof (pretty sure the rims are unbranded Kinlin 30mm which retail for £55 each anyway), although the freehub is apparently made from cheese, but can be replaced when knackered.

An everyday set of handbuilts form Derek at Wheelsmith (Ambrosios Excellights on Hope/Novatec hubs with ACI d/b spokes) will set you back about £300, but I wouldn't say they're three times as 'good', and it'll likely cost you £150 to get him to stick new rims on after 10,000 or so miles when the old ones are wearing towards the end of their life.

OP
OP
B

B1LLY87

Thanks for the reply regardless of reading the full thread.

I think I will be going for those wheels if that's the route I go down, they seem to always get reccomended and I couldn't say that i've really heard a bad thing about them.

Thanks for all the replies.

Top Bottom