Wheels or groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
N+1 may well come with better groupset, but likelihood is that the wheelsets will be basic still. That's assuming that you don't spend several thousand. Wheelsets are usually the weakest link and most often changed.

Tojo

Über Member
Having looked around at wheel specs it would appear that to have much benefit something like the campag zondas would be needed, So no, wouldn't be replacing with similar budget wheels.
I'm around 75kg.
and I know increasing my fitness level would be the best upgrade.......

I've got a pair of Zondas I like them they are my summer wheels, there stiff though so if your frame it stiff you may get a bit hammering on our crappy roads and the freehub is a bit noisy when free wheeling also look at weight for them as the campag freehub is lighter than the shimano. I think there's a thread on here that mentions the Zondas....but I can't remember which one.......:whistle:

gmw492

Veteran
Is it the old sora with thumb levers or the newer ones?
I have the new Sora and asking the same question for later on in the year,currently have some Axis wheels but want to get some Mavics ..if they are compatible

The other option of course is buy n+1 with better groupset AND wheelset and keep the old one as a winter bike, hmmmmm.........
That would be my choice every time. Unless the wheels or groupset were knackered or causing me strife in some way I'd rather save up for longer and get a whole new bike (preferably a different style - i.e CX or hub-geared commuter if my one current bike was a road bike for example) than spend a fair wedge and still only have 1 (slightly improved bike).

Cyclist33

Theoretical question-
Say you had "sora" and "R501" wheels, as I do, would you change the wheelset or the groupset first if you were upgrading (or neither) assuming you could only do one of them?

i would be sticking with the stock build if i had spent as much time banging on about how much value for money it was as you have!

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
i would be sticking with the stock build if i had spent as much time banging on about how much value for money it was as you have!
Funnily enough that is a worry for me! Yes if I buy ANY upgrades they will nearly cost more than the bike, hence why I haven't changed that much on it yet.

The ugly un loved runt needs sticking up for now and again!

vickster

Legendary Member
says the girl with four bikes half of which were custom specced!
Ah but I'm not looking for performance gains, I just like shiny things that are right for me in terms of usage and aesthetics. I wouldn't say they were custom specced, yes the bars and stem are the right size, I built the Genesis because I didn't want a Shimano groupset as the stock bike. Finance has never been an impediment to my requirements

Me I would go for the extra gear, well two now, but I would still look for a 105 triple, and really nice close cassette I have just got ^_^ 12-23, I ride cheap wheels all the time RS10's 11's don't last more than a year, so I just pick up a pair of 501's much cheaper, pretty much the same weight, a few more spokes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Having looked around at wheel specs it would appear that to have much benefit something like the campag zondas would be needed, So no, wouldn't be replacing with similar budget wheels.
I'm around 75kg.
and I know increasing my fitness level would be the best upgrade.......

So let's assume you do buy the Zondas.

How much benefit does your research suggest you will get?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A few seconds up a hill, and I will look really cool.

Good answer! :smile:

Have a play on here:

http://analyticcycling.com/

Rider your weight, shaves 250g off front and rear wheel (each) rides up 5k long hill at 10% gradient (hefty hill!) and, all other things being equal, you'll be around 10 seconds or 30m quicker/faster.

We'll have different views as to whether that's significant or not.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So you liked your bargain bike and banged on about it , so what . We all do that although maybe not as much as you :smile: There's no harm in updating the thread to say you're upgrading parts and being honest with what you now think about the bike . Its not a game , its a factual account about a bike .
I looked into upgrading my first road bike but soon decided that a new better bike was a better option . When I started upgrading that the old parts went onto my trusty steed I love so much .

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So you liked your bargain bike and banged on about it , so what . We all do that although maybe not as much as you :smile: There's no harm in updating the thread to say you're upgrading parts and being honest with what you now think about the bike . Its not a game , its a factual account about a bike .
I looked into upgrading my first road bike but soon decided that a new better bike was a better option . When I started upgrading that the old parts went onto my trusty steed I love so much .
Sorry I genuinely didn't think I was blowing sunshine up its a##e that much oops, maybe I did. Yeah I was thinking about making it lighter and quicker, the ol strava thing was beginning to strike again. But this week I'm part way through my FA Level 1 football coaching qualification and have been kicking a footy about quite a bit (and aching more than I have ever ached from a bike ride) so I've gone off the updating bike thought for now, and indeed gone off riding it for a while until I get the level 1 out the way. It's got two wheels a saddle etc its ok for what I need, it's just a bike. Next week I may be thinking about a loft conversion, now that's a serious upgrade.........

Top Bottom