Wheels or groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Good answer! :smile:

Have a play on here:

http://analyticcycling.com/

Rider your weight, shaves 250g off front and rear wheel (each) rides up 5k long hill at 10% gradient (hefty hill!) and, all other things being equal, you'll be around 10 seconds or 30m quicker/faster.

We'll have different views as to whether that's significant or not.
Sold, it's not really is it, my moneys staying in my pocket, thanks.

Tojo

Über Member
Sorry I genuinely didn't think I was blowing sunshine up its a##e that much oops, maybe I did. Yeah I was thinking about making it lighter and quicker, the ol strava thing was beginning to strike again. But this week I'm part way through my FA Level 1 football coaching qualification and have been kicking a footy about quite a bit (and aching more than I have ever ached from a bike ride) so I've gone off the updating bike thought for now, and indeed gone off riding it for a while until I get the level 1 out the way. It's got two wheels a saddle etc its ok for what I need, it's just a bike. Next week I may be thinking about a loft conversion, now that's a serious upgrade.........

When you qualify on the fuutball thing (sorry cant play ballgames unless I can charge into someone with it in my hands) and maybe land a job in said position I think you may be able to just order the top Pinarello dogma.. then turn around and tell everyone to..........Foxtrot Oscar.......:rofl:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
When you qualify on the fuutball thing (sorry cant play ballgames unless I can charge into someone with it in my hands) and maybe land a job in said position I think you may be able to just order the top Pinarello dogma.. then turn around and tell everyone to..........Foxtrot Oscar.......:rofl:
I probably wouldn't go much quicker on one if those though! The thing with the CP50 is you have to put up with muppets who say such things as "if only it went up and down hills as quick as it's price" and "it's from Argos it must be rubbish" and "it's a pile of crap" -people who've never even laid eyes on one in the flesh! Eventually it grates a little and you find yourself responding because you know better, so why should you let people slate something you like, its just obnoxious and incorrect.
I wouldn't say to someone with a cheap carrera - "your bike is s##t" it's not how I was brought up and it's just plain rude, if that person chose to spend their money on a cheap carrera that's up to them. But for the most part, (not everyone) people seem to slate the CP50!

bpsmith

Veteran
Good answer! :smile:

Have a play on here:

http://analyticcycling.com/

Rider your weight, shaves 250g off front and rear wheel (each) rides up 5k long hill at 10% gradient (hefty hill!) and, all other things being equal, you'll be around 10 seconds or 30m quicker/faster.

We'll have different views as to whether that's significant or not.
Some things are not quantifiable in speed or time. Said lighter wheels may be more responsive, stiffer, spin longer on free wheel, have better bearings, ride smoother, look better, etc.

The difference between the Giant wheels on my Defy 1 and the Zonda's was huge. Very difficult to pinpoint exactly but felt so much smoother and faster. Strava proved it to be true, with 43 PR's on first ride on my regular route with no wind.

The bike was a lot more enjoyable to ride, that's my gain.

Since n+1 arrived, the Zonda's are now on that and Fulcrum 7's on the Defy. Defy doesn't feel quite so nice to ride now, but that's harder to quantify as n+1 has tainted it obviously! :smile:

Top Bottom